This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Friday, February 17, 2012

1st Day at MdP (1)

I went to bed early with a couple of Ibuprofens to knock me out (only the 3rd or 4th time I've taken them since La Paz). I woke up at 4 AM and found everything quiet and still outside. I figured that it was a good time to move the boat to the next mooring not just because of the quietness but also because I could do it in peace in the dark. There are three moorings in a line, but they are much too close to each other, and close to the wall. When I came in I caught the first mooring with the boat hook but I couldn't hold it as the wind pulled the boat back. I was lucky that the hook didn't come off the shaft and also very lucky not to have to leave the hook on the mooring as the boat pulled away. Somehow the boat got turned around, I saw an opportunity, put the engine in reverse, and backed up to the second mooring where I was able to secure the boat by a stern cleat, shut down the engine, then set the boat up with proper lines from the bow. I usually like to leave plenty of scope on anchors and moorings but I had no choice but to bring the boat so close that it partially lifted the mooring ball out of the water. The wind swung in the evening and I was relieved to see that the stern just cleared the the far mooring ball. However, the middle mooring was opposite a small floating jetty with big upright poles and I had my doubts about the stern clearing those poles, with risk of damage to the self steering. Hence the night operation.

It went well but I had to concentrate hard in the dark, keeping track of which line was which. I started off by pumping up the Zodiac (slow leaks), launching it, and putting in the paddles. Then I threw in one of the four heavy 22mm mooring lines that I had made in Eden NSW and a jib sheet for an extension. I then rowed to the first mooring, secured the heavy line through the ring, tied on the extension, then back on board I pulled the boat half way to the new mooring. From the cockpit I freed the two lines from the second mooring then pulled the boat right up to the first mooring and in the end I had two heavy lines through its ring, with the float part way out of the water. I felt better: The floating jetty was no longer a threat and I was no longer sandwiched between two other moorings.

I must have sent last night's blog just in time for Mark to pick it up before the end of his working day because at 4 AM I was able to read his great advice on what to look for when assessing the state of the engine. (Thank you Mark yet again!!) I will respond to his questions in this blog partly for the benefit of others and partly because the news is good:
- No discoloration of paint in the exhaust or manifold areas (or anywhere else)
- No discoloration around the black plastic drain nipple at the back, or warping of any plastic material
- No antifreeze in the bilge
- Antifreeze level in the plastic reservoir is at normal level

In general, I could see nothing out of the ordinary in the engine.

Mark recommends that I change the saltwater pump impeller (Why didn't I think of that?). I've got a pretty good set of spares on board and there is probably a new impeller in the set.

I got help from Australia too. Reg suggested changing the engine oil while keeping an eye out for evidence of water, and made the interesting observation that it is just as well that the blockage wasn't freed while the engine was running hot because the sudden inrush of cold water could have caused problems. I will indeed change the oil and filter. (Thanks Reg.)

I've had a chance to assess my position. The first priority is of course to make my formal entry because I cannot move around without it. Then I'll visit the yacht clubs. This afternoon I'll deal with the second priority: diving under the boat to free whatever is obstructing the water inlet. Looking beyond that, I figure that regardless of where I wind up I'll be on this mooring for at least a week. I'll have to get my bearings and figure out how I can get fresh water on board, dispose of my garbage, and maybe even have some laundry done. I'm thinking of also taking the damaged headsail ashore where I can lay it out flat on the ground and fold it properly and bag it. I'll do the oil and filter change right here on the mooring because I have the equipment and materials for doing that. I've just checked my spares and yes, Mark included a new impeller, so I'll be changing that. I want to get the engine running again not just for the obvious reasons but also in a more immediate sense I need it to maintain the batteries charged up or otherwise I'll have to rely on the modest contribution of the solar panels.

I do not expect to be either bored or idle while on this mooring.

I got out the backpack for going ashore and found it clammy damp, a bit moldy, with all 9 zippers seized up with corrosion. It is a great backpack and I'll be needing it. I freed all 9 zippers using WD40, pliers, a screwdriver, and lots of patience. The tendency to pull hard on the tabs must be resisted because they will break off every time. After soaking each zipper in WD40 I would work on the stock of the zipper, left and right with the pliers, then back and forth with the end of the screwdriver. Afterwards I sacrificed 12 liters of fresh water to wash the backpack in a weak solution of dish soap and bleach with a good rinse afterwards. It is now hanging out in the sun. I was rewarded for my effort by recovering from an obscure pocket over 40 pesos in change, a US dime, and 2 rusty AA batteries. Today I'll go ashore with the folder containing my documents in a shopping bag hanging around my neck.

I mentioned jelly fish yesterday. The harbor is teeming with sea lions, maybe partly due to the presence of the large fishing fleet. And yesterday on the way in I saw a strange sight. I motored by a seabird that appeared to be standing on a log. As I passed within 30 ft of it the bird flew off and the log turned out to be a small baby seal or sea lion. I reckon that could be the theme of a children's story.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me