This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Monday, February 27, 2012

Good Electronic Charts of Argentina

I've spent several hours examining the set of electronic charts that Antonio passed over to me and they are outstanding for my needs. I've got detailed charts of Argentina and in particular the Rio De La Plata estuary and its upper reaches. There is also a small scale chart covering the east coast of S. America from Drake Passage to the Rio De La Plata as well as one of Ushuaia and several of Antarctica. My interest is of course the region between here, Buenos Aires, and Montevideo, and the charts cover it well. Along with the charts came a viewer which has the usual zoom and pan features as well as a handy route definitions and a calculator that will produce the distance and bearing between two points as well as the total distance of a route.
In working with the software and charts I've become more and more familiar with the area and am confident that I can make Buenos Aires with little trouble. I hope to have a session with Alfredo in front of these charts so that I can get a more precise picture of the route that I will take. He's already given me an outline of the route and the only tricky bit is squeezing between Banco Magdalena and Banco Chico, but it will be useful to go over it all more closely. The entire estuary is littered with wrecks, many of them showing funnels and superstructure above the water. There must be over a hundred of them. Scores of them have warning lights above them. Charts and lights notwithstanding, it is an area where eyeball vigilance will be required, unless I am in a defined channel. I'll also have to be careful about where I drop an anchor because I suspect that there is junk all over the bottom of that estuary. (The heavy cruiser Graf Spee must be down the somewhere. I can now see the German Captain's problem: he had 3 British cruisers waiting for him outside of Montevideo if I recall correctly, but with the shallow waters his maneuvering room would have been very limited. He scuttled the ship, paid with his life, and saved the lives of hundreds of German and British sailors. A real hero, in my opinion.) (I found the Graf Spee on the chart. She lies at 34 58' 20" S, 56 17' 55" W, 5.5 miles from the entrance to the harbor at Montevideo. She's marked by two buoys.)
I also spent several hours getting close up Google satellite and "roadmap" images of the entire area (to level 15) using Dave's GPS DataLogger software, so I should be able to see the progress of the boat very clearly in both the geophysical and civil map contexts. In the closeups I could see many marinas to the north of Buenos Aires.
Martin handed back my movie hard drive. He and Marianne were able to download only 30 movies (out of 300) because they are having storage problems. They plan to leave for the South tomorrow and I advocated a quick dash in the morning to Delta Computers to purchase an external disc drive. They were not able to copy their movies onto my drive, undoubtedly because they are using a MacIntosh computer, so they handed me their external drive but unfortunately my Windows laptop cannot see their drive. (Personal opinion: Macs Suck and the world would be better without them.)
Antonio is leaving tomorrow too. I've only known these people for one week and I will be missing them. I don't think that it represents human frailty on my part but rather that they are terrific people and very worthy of being missed.
I also uploaded 3 more video clips to the blog. There are another 10 or so clips to go. Coming attractions includes a tour of the cabin of the boat during the passage.
----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

4 comments:

Larry said...

Robert, you need to rethink your opinion of Macs. Their operating system has consistently better and more intuitive than Windows by a wide margin. What is too bad is that Microsoft has to be such a big bully and refuse to give us the software that will allow good communication with a Macintosh.

On the other hand, both software and hardware for the Macintosh are expensive compared to Windows hardware & software.

Arnold said...

Nah!

Companies that I worked for all eventually quit supporting Macs for compatibility/cost reasons, and the Mac Heads always went nuts (my son is one of them) -- it was like taking their crack away from them.

Chris said...

Wonderful you can study the area to see lots of things.

Robert Morales said...

I hear you Larry. I know that Macs were pioneers that helped make modern computing what it is, and as you say, are intuitive and easy to use.

But my experience has been more along the lines of Arnold's comment. I managed a university computer center for over 20 years and being a university we were forced to operate with very limited human and financial resources. Over and over again we would have to devote scarce resources for Mac versions to cater for the less than 10% of the community using Macs.

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me