This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Haircut, Video Clips, and Rain

I was just leaving the cabin to visit Alfredo on the way to deal with the rigging order when he came to the boat and told me that Alejandro had said that there was an issue with Buenos Aires headquarters and we are to see him on Tuesday. I didn't mind the delay because I have many other things to do. Alfredo wants to do a second measurement tomorrow, with him going up the mast this time. I like that: he wants to make sure that there is no stuffup. It will be good for him to see for himself the stay interfaces at the mast.
I decided to clean up my act by shaving, trimming my moustache, and getting a haircut. Shaving the beard turned out to be easier and less painful than I had expected. I attacked the beard with my battery powered electric shaver then went at it with two disposable razor blades. I then trimmed my moustache, did what I could with my ears and nose hairs, then set off for the barber shop that I had seen in the main drag, 12 de Octubre. There I was the only customer and without a doubt I got the most time, attention, and care of any haircut in my life. He started off by giving my hair a shampoo. Then he moved me to the regular chair and did his work with scissors, a bit of electric cutter work, and a lot of work with a technique that I had never seen before: going round and round my head using a comb and a straight razor to trim off hair. He spent more time on my eyebrows that some barbers have taken to do my whole head. Then he worked on my ears then finished off by blow drying my hair, and after about 40 minutes it was done. His charge was 35 pesos, which is less than $8 and I gave him 40 pesos regretting later that I didn't give him more. After more than 3 months without a haircut and ears looking like something from a Koala Bear I felt like a new man.
By then it was raining and I remembered that I had left the hatches of the boat open. That was the second time that I had been caught out by the rain and I soon realized why. After almost 2 years in La Paz I was simply not used to rain. Never mind. From the barber shop I headed to Delta Computers on Edison Street and looked at a WiFi antenna. I wrote down the details of the antenna that they had and told the man that I would check it out on the internet and would return on Monday. Alfredo says that with his WiFi antenna he can use the internet from his boat often (but not all of the time.) I then dropped by the grocery store and bought some vegetables, bread, eggs, wine, and a liter of Stella Artois Belgian beer that at almost 1/3 of the price that I've been paying at the restaurant.
I walked back in the rain and had a "the works" hamburger and French fries at the little cafe near the footbridge on the way to the boat. At the boat I found thankfully that I had left the Acer laptop in its carrying case and at the forward end of the table and away from the main hatch. My regular bunk on the starboard side was wet so I moved the bedding over to the port side.
After a nap I headed to the restaurant to do some Internet work. I spent several hours uploading videos. I had planned on telephoning my brother's home in Seattle but it was getting dark, I knew that the restaurant would close soon, and worse, the foot bridge is left open to boats all night and I wasn't sure at what time they would do this. It was raining heavily and if the footbridge was open to boats and closed to pedestrians I would have a long trek around the harbor. Fortunately the bridge was still in position and I was able to scamper across and get to the boat quickly.
Tomorrow, Sunday, I would see M&M about that movie exchange that we talked about, because they will be leaving soon. I would also finally attend to setting up the cabling for shore power. Happily the house battery bank was still at a healthy 12.9 volts.
----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Robert your videos are fascinating, thanks for posting them. Nigel

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me