This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Sunday, August 26, 2012

In Rio de Janeiro

The planning and scout work paid off and the trip to Rio went without a hitch.

I was up at 4.30 AM to give me ample time to prepare for the 8 AM bus to Angra.  After coffee I checked my departure list and verified that the only things remaining to be packed were the computers.  I shut them both down and packed them both into the Toshiba case.

Then under the glow of first light I brought the outboard motor into the cabin then began the task of bringing into the cabin every fuel container.  Fortunately only 6 of them had fuel in them.

I attracted the attention of the night watchman who eyed me as walked the adjacent jetty then had a good look as he visited my jetty and walked past Pachuca.  I greeted him with a "Bon Geea" (with a soft G).  I was happy to see him doing his job.  I have noticed that the night patrolling is very good at the marina - best I've seen yet.  The even have a manned watch tower at the far end of the marina.  I looked at the Google map and saw that there is a small road running along the other side of the Bracui river - outside of the gated area on  this side of the river.  Bad guys could drive down that road, wade across the Bracui river, and find themselves on the edge of the marina.  I figure that the watch tower is a deterrent brought about by hard experience.

I decided to get moving 45 minutes before bus time because I wasn't sure how I'd manage with the full duffel bag, the computer bag, and my backpack.  Before leaving the boat I switched off every breaker except the ones for the lights.  I turned off the master switch for the starter bank but didn't want to do the same for the house bank because I wanted to keep the gas detector solenoid energized.  I've had trouble getting it to work after a long period at rest.  Between the solar panels and the wind charger I expect to have full batteries when I return.  I deliberately left the engine exhaust valve open.  Nobody has authority to start the engine but if the marina staff are forced to run the engine due to some crisis I don't want them to blow the exhaust hoses.

I managed to get the bags off one at a time - not the easiest of tasks given that I have to clamber over the wind steering frame then get bag over that water gap and onto the jetty.  Then the big moment.   I got the straps of the duffel bag around my shoulders, put the computer bag strap around my neck, hand carried the backpack, and started walking. I was relieved to see that I was managing the load OK.  The bus stop was about 500 meters away.

The bus arrived dead on time at 8AM and  went in the middle door because there was no way I would pass through the turnstile with the luggage.  I placed the bag in a space for wheel chairs, went forward to pay the lady, then she manually turned the turnstile to register my entry.

I dithered over whether to stop near the Acropolis hotel and walk to the bus station or play in safe and go all the way into town then take a cab.  I decided to try the walk and I'm glad that I did.  I pulled the cord just at the right time and had to walk less than 2 blocks to the bus station.

I got to the Costa Verde ticket counter at 8.50 AM and the next bus to Rio was leaving at 9 AM.  I purchased the ticket for $R40.50 and at 9.15 we were on the way to Rio.  I was on the wrong side of the bus for sightseeing, but I got good glimpses of the spectacular coastline on the way to Rio - much like Angra, with the dramatic islands rising all over the place.  We passed through two tunnels.  The approach through the outskirts of the city was not inspiring, with mile after mile of rough, box like houses and businesses. When we got into the city I looked up at the hills and noticed Christ the Redeemer looking down with his arms outstretched.

We arrived at the Rio bus station at about 11.45AM.  I lugged my baggage to the taxi ticket counters and I had a choice of four companies.  The woman at the second booth pulled me in with persuasive attention and it turned out to be a good choice because she brought in another woman who spoke English.  It was fortunate that I was able to present the address as well as the name of the hotel, because she told me that there are three "Mondo Novo" hotels in the Rio area.  I told her that mine was in the central section of the city.  After some discussion with the cab driver they were all confident that they knew which hotel I wanted and the driver brought me there with no problem.  The fare was $R39, almost as much as the bus ride from Angra.  I gave him $R45 and he gave me a friendly pat on the shoulder.

The young hotel clerk keyed in my reservation number and put up his thumb to signify that I was in the system.  I paid $R110 in cash for the first night and was shown to my room. I had left Angra at 8AM and I was in my hotel room in Rio at 12.15 PM.

The Mondo Novo is a 2 star hotel which reminds me of some of the places that Brenda and I had stayed in during the Mexico bus tour. It is a small hotel with two floors and a courtyard in the middle.  My room is on the ground, opening to the courtyard and next to the water fountain.  The room is small, with modern tiles on the floor and half way up the walls.  There are no drawers or hanging space.  In the corner is a plastic card table with a matching plastic chair.  On each side of the bed is a small table space and a reading light.  The wash basin in the bathroom has only cold water.  There is a window, but it is high up blocked by the closed shutter.  On the other hand, the place is clean the hotel seems safe and even quaint, the free internet works fine, there is an overhead TV, the air conditioner works well, and breakfast is served 7-10AM in a cute little dining room.  If the hotel does meet my criteria of clean, safe, with internet, I will be a satisfied customer.

1 comment:

Chris said...

What a site to find in Rio - Christ the Redeemer looking down with his arms outstretched. Have a great time.

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me