This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Polishing Metal

Before Polishing

After

Note previous location below

Starboard Side After Polish
12 August 2012

I put in two hours of work immediately after breakfast while the sun was still low and the day cool.  The task was to finish off some welding work that had been done in MdP.

The riggers had been unable to fasten the rear of he new wire rails because the U-bolts that had been welded to the frame as attachment points did not allow enough room for the fitting. This had worked OK previously because the rail had been fastened through he U-bolts with heavy cord, but the new rails would be connected to the frame with turnbuckles.

The riggers returned to Buenos Aires with the rails completed and ready for new and larger attachment points at the cockpit frame.  Pato didn't waste much time in finding a welder to to the job, which was to cut off the old U-bolts and weld new ones.  On the upper port rail I asked that the U-bolt be welded 1 inch higher than before, to correct a mistake that I had made when telling Scotty where to weld the fittings. 

The man showed up a day or two later and he seemed keen and enthusiastic.  However, it bothered me that he had come late in the day, which might put him under a time pressure, there was a bit of a breeze blowing, and worse, he would use stick instead of MIG welding.  Stick welding stainless steel presents problems, one of which is that it puts more heat onto the parent metal than  MIG welding. 

Nevertheless the man must have known  what he was doing because he did a very good job.  The welds around the roots of the U-bolts were built up nicely and showed no overlaps or pitting.  The welds had to be strong because my life might depend on them.

A day or two later he hailed me from behind the gate separating the two clubs and asked for payment.  I knew that the areas around the welds would need a good buffing and polishing but given his prompt and good welding I decided to let that pass and do the buffing myself.   I went back to the boat and paid him through the fence with my thanks and a bit of a bonus.

This morning attended to the buffing and polishing.  Fortunately I had a full bottle of metal polish in stock, and I started to work not knowing how long it would take or the quality of the result.  After two hours of work I stood back and assessed the result and couldn't complain.  There is some discoloration but it would be noticed only by someone who was looking for it. 

I did find a section 5 mm long on outboard side of the weld of the upper port U-bolt that was not built up but appeared welded at the root.  Had I seen this in time I would have called the welder back, but I made the usual mistake of having a quick look and relying on the expert.  I am sure that the weld is strong enough but nevertheless I may tie a loop of  rope through the upper turnbuckles and around the frame for my crossings to Cape Town and Australia.  In Australia I'll get Scotty to look at the welds.

The alert nautical types may notice that I have not put split pins inside of the turnbuckles.  The riggers gave me the small pins for the job but I decided to wait and allow the rails to stretch and settle down before I do the final tightening and pinning.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Pachuca will have a rest once you go to USA. Seems to not stop fixing up Pachuca so often. Hard work.

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me