This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Gave Up On Water Maker

Water Maker Disappointment Nov 2008

After two weeks of no response to my emails to Waterlog, to their official support address and to Margaret in the sales section I telephoned the number advertised on their web site in the middle of their business day. I got a recorded message that simply told me to leave a message. It didn't even identify itself as Waterlog.

This was very disappointing, in particular because I had made it clear that we were about to make a long crossing through the equator and if we ever needed the Waterlog 200 water maker it was now. One would think that a company that has no overseas representation would provide strong centralized support. One would think that a company that makes its sales on the trust of the customers who visit their web site would not betray that trust for reasons of ethics, sound business practice, and reputation.

Arnold thinks that Waterlog is a "garage operation" and I am in no position to dispute that. It certainly appears to be a grossly dysfunctional organization. I won't get vindictive and bad-mouth the company over the internet but my personal advice to anyone is to not buy anything on trust over the internet, particularly from Waterlog. My advice to Waterlog would be to quit jerking people around, wasting their money, and possibly putting them in danger by either facing reality and folding up the business or salvage the business by (a) vastly improving the pathetic instructions printed on the backs of a card (written by a technical boffin rather than a professional communicator) and (b) give strong customer support rather than the current no customer support. This company does not seem to understand that the first thing that customers need is confidence in their product.

I'll keep the unit because maybe one day I'll be able to tinker with it and get it to work. Failing that it can wind up on a wall of my house as a conversation piece and an example of my naivete.

Please don't worry, folks. We will be departing Tahiti with 280 liters of water in the tanks and another 86 liters in containers. That represents 36 days if we use a profligate 10 liters per day between us. A more restrained 5 liters per day will give us 72 days.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me