This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Friday, December 4, 2009

Brenda Back In OZ

Brenda departed for Australia on Tuesday the 1st of December as planned.

At about 2 PM we took the good old 74 bus to BART then had a fast and easy ride all the way to the airport, with one change of trains. When the train doors opened at our destination we were, like, right there at the airport. We took one of those automatic airport shuttle trains to the terminal and were lucky in finding the Canadian check-in desk open with no customers. After the formalities and check-in of luggage we had a light meal at Subway. It must have been about 7 PM when I waved Brenda goodbye as she passed through the security area.

Brenda safely away I left with some concern that I would wind up at the Richmond BART station well after dark, which I had been advised against by several locals. My concern grew when approaching the Richmond station I could see no other passengers in my car, the one behind, or the one in front (gulp!) Fortunately there were enough people moving around the station and the bus transfer area to make it look safe enough to wait for a bus. My fallback plan was to run like hell for a rank of cabs 30 meters away.

On the bus ride back I told the black bus driver who had gotten to know Brenda and myself that I had just seen Brenda off to Australia. She said that she had a brother in Australia. I asked what city, expecting a reply of Sydney or Melbourne. "Perth" she replied. Her brother was a US NBA basketball player who had to quit because of injury and has been a basketball coach in Perth few years. I presume that he coaches the Perth Wildcats. He is called "Doc".

That evening I got a call from Stephen confirming that Brenda had made it to Sydney. Later that night got a phone call from Brenda who was safely home.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Wonderful news that Brenda made it safely home. You take care Robert as I want to see lots of photos!

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me