This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Rounding Cape Horn

I've just come across the following account of a boat, Sea Wolf III, that rounded the Horn in early 2003, http://www.bluewaterweb.com/newsletters/12.15.06_capehorn.asp It set sail from Mobile Alabama, where Arnold and I were raised.

The story interested me because of its similarities to my setup and plan:

- The boat departed from Puerto Montt
- They set out on January 30, a bit on the late side of the Dec-Jan optimal time, but approximately when I plan to do my rounding
- The boat is cutter rigged
- They were moving under 25% of the roller head sail and nothing else, which is pretty much my style when running downwind in heavy weather.
- They concluded as I already have that it was too dangerous to stay on deck during those gales
- They ultimately deployed a sea anchor that sounds remarkably like my Para Anchor, although they had to go to the foredeck to set up the bridle whereas I can deploy mine from the cockpit

They got hit by bigger waves than I would have expected at that time of the year. They did not see the gale coming because to my amazement they didn't know how to use their HF radio or get weather faxes. (Huh???)

The good news for me is that (1) they seemed to be able to sail out of Puerto Montt without a problem from the prevailing westerly winds that have been worrying me (2) the sea anchor worked extremely well.

So some of my thoughts at present are:

- It looks like Puerto Montt is a feasible jumping-off place for the Horn after all
- I'll try to do the rounding in early January
- Before I leave I'll seal the anchor well cover with silicone or some other sealant and tie it down to prevent the filling up of the anchor well
- I'll remove the spray dodger before departing
- I'll probably bend the storm trysail on the mast - definitely no mainsail.
- Not sure about the staysail. I've had advice that relying on a downhaul to hold the sail on the deck when the wind gets too strong may not be a good idea. Dan at Pt Townsend Rigging said that for my boat the staysail should be sized somewhere between 100 and 120 square ft. He suggested that I have it modified with a reefing point so that I can reduce the area.
- Pass through Drake Passage about 60 nm south of the Horn
- The experience of Sea Wolf III validated my plan is to stay below deck as much as possible. If the self steering can't cope I'll heave to and strap myself down below prepared for a knockdown or rollover (e.g. torch, gloves, hacksaw, grab bag etc in hand)
- The sea anchor is a viable last resort

Full disclosure. I have seriously considered returning to Australia via the Panama Canal. During my recent visit to Port Townsend another persuasive case was made for crossing the Canal. Visits to the islands on the eastern side of Panama, south of the Canal all of the way to Columbia was highly recommended. And visiting Cuba was mentioned, which I find a very attractive proposition, particularly before the inevitable opening up of the island to US visitors. There could then be a stop in San Juan, Puerto Rico, my place of birth, then a passage well to the east to Brazil then Uruguay. But after thinking about it I realized that I would have the same old problem of the hurricane season. I would have to hang around on or below the equator from June until November 2010. During that time I could be working my way down the coasts of Ecuador, Peru, and Chile.

2 comments:

Chris said...

I can't work out when you plan to return to WA Robert but Panama Canal may be handy!

Coral said...

I'm still following the blog Robert so thanks for the Christmas greetings and the same to you, and best wishes for the New Year and for the continuation of your trip of course. I look forward to reading all about it. Plus extra revelations from Brenda...

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me