This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Monday, December 14, 2009

Preparations for Departure






I have dedicated today for the preparation of Pachuca and myself for my holiday visit to Kingston WA.

To be sure to be sure that there is no problem from the boisterous waters that accompany the passing weather fronts I've put double lines on Pachuca.

I revisited the plastic vent that has tormented me with leaks since I left Australia and covered the entire fiberglass-covered inlet pipe with duct tape. Hopefully that will see an end to those leaks. All three plastic "Seabird" vents on Pachuca have been blocked off. The two over the quarter berth areas are covered with plastic and tape and they did not leak during that rough passage from Neah Bay.

I'll remove the cable to shore power, turn off internal 12V power, and rely on the solar panels and wind charger to keep the batteries topped up. For the first time the bicycle will be folded up and stowed below.

I worked under the protection of two US Coast Guard semi rigid boats, each with a gun mounted on the bow. (See last photo.) I'm wondering what to expect when I arrive in San Diego waters, which presumably teem with illegal migrant and drug activity.

I am on schedule with my preparations. I expect to leave Pachuca at about 8 AM to give myself plenty of time go get to the Oakland airport. Fortunately I am pretty well over my cold.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Hope I got that right....you are coming to WA??? for a quick visit???? Australia?????

Chris said...

Think I got it wrong...did you mean Washington????

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me