This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Propeller Handover

For me one of the most difficult aspects of this cruising life is saying goodbye - to places and more painfully to people.

Ib visited the boat for about and hour and Yadranka dropped by later.  They are setting off tomorrow for the southern part of Mexico and their plan is to depart from Mexico in March and head for Australia via the South Pacific.  They have a beautiful boat that is in great condition and can look forward to having the time of their lives.  Ib said that he's got the feeling that we'll see each other again and for that matter so do I. 

I handed to Ib the GPS receiver that he had ordered for delivery to Arnold's home and he took out of his back pack Pachuca's propeller that he had carried on foot from another marina.


I was not prepared for the quality of work that had been done on the propeller in Mazatlan - at first glance it looked like a new one.  The diameter had been reduced to cut away nicks at the tips and the edges had been very professionally chamfered and rounded.  Running across the blades were three concentric lines that Ib said were part of the process of balancing the propeller.  The entire thing had been buffed and polished.  Note the stamping shown in the photo: diameter 16.5 inches, right handed propeller, 14 inch pitch.  This wasn't the product of a guy pounding with a hammer under a spreading chestnut tree - it looked like the product of a well equipped workshop with people who know what they are doing.

As luck would have it Jose walked by wearing his wet suit and was ready to fit the propeller immediately.  I explained that I had the urgent business with the Eduana so he agreed to do it tomorrow.

--------

Things look better for me on the Aduana front.  I didn't really like the idea of going to Pichilingue to deal with the Customs problem.  Cab rides would cost me about $25 each way and I would have spent the entire day getting there in back by bus.  Once there I would be at a big disadvantage in dealing with the Spanish speaking bureaucracy.

Fortunately as I was walking out of the marina I made a snap decision to see if Eco Naviera could help me.  This is the sort of service that they provide and they were certainly efficient in setting me up for my FM3 residency.

At noon I met Yolanda with all of my documentation.  I explained the issue and  she replied that she could help me.   She then made copies of some of my documents, including my TIP (Temporary Importation Permit), as well as two invoices from Shoreline Marine Diesel.  As luck would have it she was heading off the Pichilinque.  When she asked me if I was prepared to take a ride with her to the airport later this afternoon I had to fight very hard the impulse to pick her up and plant a kiss on her cheek.  I am supposed to meet her at the office at 2 PM. 

Sure, I'll have to pay for the service, but on the other hand I wou't have to spend $100 in cab fares to and from both Pichilingue and the airport, not to mention the risk of coming up empty handed.

Ib put it best: there are ways to save money, but this isn't one of them.

2 comments:

mark jochems said...

Lines on the prop are for checking spacing, which now a days is not a common practice. I have seen proper spacing fix vibration problems. Changing and correcting spacing is a mater of blacksmithing. So it appears you are correct, time was spent on this prop by knowledgeable people. This is why I'm not impressed with people saying they use a computer scan. Its the guy with a torch in one hand and a large hammer in the other that really matters. Should work out well. Make sure the installer seats the propeller hub on the shaft before tightening the nut. We have one here this week with a worn out key way because they didn't do that.

Chris said...

Help is great news!!

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me