This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Another Night at Bahia San Gabriel

During the night the wind swung to the SW blowing at 10-ll kt, stronger than had been forecast. We were on a lee shore in just over 3 meters of water. However, after visiting the foredeck and winding the bitter end of the anchor chain around the Samson post instead of the anchor winch gypsy in case the snubber line parted, I figured that at the shallow depth I had a ratio of better than 10 to 1 on my anchor rode, so I went back to bed and tried not to worry about it. The tide continued to ebb so that at 1.30 PM I had only .4 meters of water under the keel. I know this to be a fact because I took the opportunity to throw a lead line over the side and confirm that the depth sounder is correctly set to measure the true depth of the water.
With our colds smoldering along Brenda and I decided to have an easy day. In the morning I inflated the Zodiac and launched it, the Brenda helped me lower the outboard motor onto it. After lazing around the rest of the morning we had lunch, a nap, then set off for a tour of the area.
Our first destination was a rookery that Brenda had spotted to the south of us. I will let Brenda describe the interesting experience.
"Robert let the Zodiac drift quietly a few feet from the rocky shore, pushed along by a gentle wind. The colony of nesting Magnificent Frigate Birds did not seem at all agitated by us. They were more interested in each other. This morning I had thought 'I've seen lots of Frigate Birds but never the red throat pouch that the males inflate when breeding.' Now I have seen many throat pouches so inflated that the bird's beak angles upwards. Some pairs were still building their nest and gently clacking their bills. Others had a white fluffy nestling to show for their efforts. It was all very busy with neighbours very close, but relatively serene. I estimated that at least 2000 birds formed the colony."
I really enjoyed drifting so close to the Frigate Birds, watching them do their courting thing, preen each other, and looking over some white fluffy chicks that had already hatched.
Brenda visiting mangrove at low tide
We then motored to the other side of the bay where Brenda visited a mangrove which, though disappointing from the bird watching perspective, was pleasant in the bright sunshine and gentle wind.
Panoramic of Bahia San Gabriel,  Pachuca at Left
We were back on board when at 4.10 PM the wind abruptly swung from a gentle NE to 10-12 kt E, as though somebody had thrown a switch. An easterly wind suited us both, no matter how strong it got, because we had good protection from that direction.
----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

1 comment:

Chris said...

That was a fun tour of the local environment.

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me