This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Apartment and Clearing the Boat

Two mornings ago I visited Teresa at the apartment building on the corner of Juarez and Madero, armed with a statement written in Spanish in which I explained my plans for the next few months, including the visit by Jak for 4 weeks to help me with the boat.  Fortunately she had an apartment with two beds being vacated on Sunday.  I paid for the first month and told her that I would probably need the apartment into November.

I was hoping to get an apartment on the 3rd floor because Brenda and I enjoyed the balcony and the great cross breeze.  Unfortunately this apartment is on the ground floor, on the quieter Juarez street.  I suppose that we'll get used to the convenience of not having to walk several flights of steps with our groceries, laundry, etc.  I had only a quick glance at the interior because there are people still living in it, but it looked OK, with a double bed in the main room and a single bed in a passage way leading from the front door past the kitchen to the rear.  I figure that two tough hombres planning to round the Horn should find it comfortable enough.  Security is good.  From memory, there is a tiny garden court yard totally enclosed with bars.  I take possession on Wednesday morning, at which time I will make sure that all vital systems in the apartment are working well, from the air conditioner down to the toilet, and will take some photographs.

For the last three days I have been steadily transferring material from Pachuca to the lockup storage across the street.  As of now the sail lockers and the quarter berth lockers are empty, save some chain in the starboard locker.  I've also cleared areas of the cabin lockers.  Remaining on the boat are my clothes, food, all cooking and eating equipment, all tools and most materials.  This does not confirm to my idealistic vision of turning the boat into a shell,  but there are practical reasons for keeping this material on board.  For one thing, I want to eat as much of Pachuca's food stores as possible.  Brenda and I were recently cooking things that we had purchased in Tahiti.  A lot of the cooking and eating gear will wind up in the apartment.  In any event, I cannot fit much more into the bodega.

For historical completeness I'll have to mention that I've had a recurrence of last week's cold.  For the last three days I've been wheezing, sneezing, and coughing my way around La  Paz.  I've been spending a lot of time in bed and today I stocked up on fresh fruit, juices, and strawberry yoghurt.

3 comments:

Barry and Joyce said...

Hi Robert, really enjoyed the blog you posted while touring Mexico mainland. Joyce and I check in 4-6 times per week.
The reason for the apartment is Mexico's summer heat?
Robert I know you are able to take care of yourself, but promice me at the first sign of wheezing lungs, you will go see a doctor. Colds that refuse to go away can turn into nasty stuff. Also the sniffels can be alergy related as the sun dries spring grass, are there a lot of blossoming trees in La paz?
No more nagging, get well soon.Barry

Chris said...

What about trying fish oil and Vit C pills...they help!

Robert Morales said...

Thanks for your "nagging" about my health, Barry and Joyce. If in 2 days I haven't shown significant improvement I will see a doctor.

Regarding the apartment, relief from the La Paz heat is only part of it. The big thing is that it allows me more freedom and efficiency in working on the boat and allows me to escape the fumes of some of the heavy duty paints that I'll be using.

And of course it is great to physically leave the boat and the work behind at the end of a long day and go to the comfortable and clean world of the apartment,

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me