This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Monday, April 25, 2011

Visit to Doctor

I heeded the advice of friends and loved ones saw a doctor today. 

I started off by sending an email to Bob Carrol on Adios II.  A few hours later I had his reply with all of the information that I needed.  Dr. Enrique Tuchmann is a sort of doctor to the fleet who does "boat calls".  He speaks English and his receptionist doesn't, but that was no problem because Bob supplied me with Dr. Tuchmann's cell phone number and suggested that I phone just after 8 AM.  I telephoned this morning at 8.15 AM, Dr. Tuchmann answered, and the appointment was made for 11 AM.  Not long after that Bob dropped by to give me more directions on finding the clinic, maintaining a prudent distance from me. 

I found the clinic with little trouble and walked in 20 minutes early.  The receptionist knew who I was and I confirmed that my cita (appointment) was at once (11).  She led me upstairs to Dr. Tuchmann.

Seeking medical help was a good move.  Dr. Tuchmann told me that I have some fluid in my left lung that could turn into pneumonia.  I walked out with prescriptions that included an antibiotic called Macrozit (Azitomicina) which must be very powerful medicine because I am to take only one tablet a day for 3 days. There is also something to help dry out my lungs and something else for my head & sinuses.

I thanked Dr. Tuchmann for seeing me on short notice.  Instead of any nonsense like "I'd like to see you again in 5 days" he told me to call him on his cell phone any time that I needed to speak with him. 

On the way out I paid 500 (about $42) pesos for the visit.

4 comments:

barry and Joyce said...

Well done, you may have saved yourself a boat load of grief. Barry

Chris said...

Finally got to the doctor...well done!

Anonymous said...

Hi Robert, We are very relieved you have seen a Doctor. Maddie just asked Dennis when you are coming home as you apparently said to her before she turned 9 and she is turning 10 in a few weeks. Dennis said you probably meant 19! Love reading your blog. Miss You, take care Love Caroline Dennis and Maddie xx

Robert Morales said...

Thank, you wonderful people.

And thanks Dennis & Caroline for the reminder that children remember Everything that one says, no matter insignificant.

But this one was significant. Please tell young Maddie that the wind, the ocean, and the surprises that my boat keeps springing on me have been more powerful than my puny schedule. This was going to be a 2 year voyage and so far it looks like a 4 year one, if things go well.

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me