This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Another Quiet Day

This morning we discussed the possibility of making for one of the anchorages near La Paz but fortunately decided not to risk exposure to a northerly wind if the GRIB wind predictions got it wrong. The wind is now from the north at 20-26 knots and we are two happy puppies in our sheltered anchorage.

Brenda and I both had bad nights with our colds and have been taking it very easy with plenty of rest, warmth, and good food. Brenda remarked that it is her worst cold in years. However, with luck we are past the worst.

I managed to happily resolve one problem this morning. Last night we discovered that both the radio and the adjacent 12V cigarette lighter plug were dead. These feed off a sub panel that I installed before leaving Fremantle. The 10 amp breaker supplying the panel had not been thrown, and at night I verified that the anchor light, which is supplied by that panel, was working OK. I went for the fuse and sure enough the 15A fuse had blown. I've been pretty touchy about electrics since the recent electrical fire and decided to find out why the fuse had blown. The answer was that the 12V DC to 240V AC inverter draws 20 amps. It's a wonder that the 15A fuse had lasted so long. Anyway, I replaced it with a 20A fuse and am now wondering why the 10A breaker did not trip. (Should all of the breakers be tested, I ask myself.)

We expect to begin motoring to La Paz at 10.30 AM tomorrow to arrive at the marina at 2.30 PM, ebb tide.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

1 comment:

Chris said...

Woof! woof! Puppies I hope your colds are going!

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me