This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Exhaust Valve Installed

This morning we finished one of the major tasks on our agenda: the installation of a 2" stainless steel ball valve for the engine exhaust. 

 We started off by a visit to Joel at the workshop where he loaned me several tools for the job.

The hole that had accommodated the old thru hull fitting was only 1 or 2 mm in diameter too small and Jak used a grinding attachment on the electric drill to ream out the hole until the fit was adequate but nice and snug.  Jak noted that the Starboard backing was not sitting quite flush on the surface so we cut off the corners to turn it into an octagonal piece.  I cleaned around the exterior side of the hole with thinner and Jak put a nice bead of 3M 5200 sealant around the inside of the flange fitting.  At this point I took a measurement and confirmed that the hull is 10mm (2/5") thick.  He then handed me the fitting and pushed it through the hole from the outside.

New Seacock for the Exhaust System
Jak did the inside work, fitting the Starboard backing on a bed of 5200 then screwing the fitting tight while I kept it from turning by using the open jaws of adjustable pliers on the ridges in the inside of the fitting provided for that purpose.  Then he threaded on the ball cock valve and the hose fitting on top of that, using "Rectorseal" pipe thread sealant.  I cut only enough of the exhaust hose to yield a square cut, which means that we would have lost maybe 5" of length in the hose.  Part if not all of this was made up by the length of the ball valve. Jak clamped the hose on, which mercifully fit quite easily over the brass fitting and after a bit of cleaning the job was done. 

The travel of the ball valve lever is perfect for access through the access to the lazarette.  I was amazed at how easily the handle turns, given that it is such a big valve.  The reason is partly due to Jak, who told me about methods of regularly lubricating the ball valve.  Until then I had been under the impression that these valves were maintenance free.  Anyway, before mounting the ball valve I coated the surface of the ball with a generous amount of waterproof grease.  I plan to regularly work the valve and keep it lubricated because it is important that it is functionally there when I need it.

I looked up at the loop of the exhaust hose and was pleased to see that it still arcs up to the inside surface of the coaming.  What was my first line of defense against the invasion of salt water into the engine through the exhaust hose has now become my second line of defense. 

There was nothing else to be done because we are awaiting parts.  I suggested to Jak that he do something that I've wanted to do but haven't gotten around to doing: take a handful of change and grab the first bus that comes by and see where it takes him.  It seems to me that hopping from bus to bus would be a great way to see the city and many of its people.

I stayed back to try to relocate the autopilot computer for easier access.  Connecting the wires of the new fluxgate compass will impossible in its present location.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi very nice blog...
How awesome! I never thought of doing something like this, though I have HATED the mess that always exists in Exhaust systems Great post!

Exhaust Systems

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me