This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Monday, May 30, 2011

Staysail Work

Large Snap Block on Padeye. Note Angle of Aft Block
I spent several hours experimenting with staysail setups using the padeyes on the forward winch platforms.  The padeyes are 21" (520mm) from the center line of the boat, whereas the jib tracks that I was using are 44" (1130mm) from the center line.  Ideally the blocks for the staysail jibs should be 28"-32" from the center line of the boat.  The new turning block position now allows me to pass the sheets between the shrouds and the mast, rather than between two of the shrouds.  For the first time I'll be able to heave to without having the weather sheet making a tight bend around the inner shroud. 

A big question of my mind was the vertical angle at which the sheet meets the sail when it passes through the new block position.  I found the angle maybe a bit high, with the sheet line projecting to just above the half way mark of the luff of the sail, but it was good enough for me. 



I had an issue with the strength of the platforms supporting the padeyes, given that they flare up from the deck - not the best geometry for strength.  However, those four platforms on the cabin were designed for winches in the harsh conditions of ocean racing, and they are well backed with aluminum plates.  So I'll use the padeyes and be vigilant for cracks around the platforms. To help things I replaced the small flat washers on the thru fittings with wide ones, spreading the load on the backing plates.

Staysail in Back Winded Heave to Position 
Padeye Backing Plate
From the turning blocks at the padeye the staysail sheets must pass through a block on the main jib track.  There are two jib lead cars on each track.  Initially it looked like I would have to purchase new cars with flexible blocks because the staysail sheets encountered the blocks at too great an angle (i.e. too far to the side, rather than the front).  But then I tried moving the rear blocks as far aft as possible and sheeting through them.  The new angle was good enough, in my opinion, saving me several hundred dollars worth of cars and blocks (not to mention transport costs).  This leaves the rest of the tracks for the forward blocks, through which I will run the main jib sheets.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me