This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Where am I?

I put together the navigation station now that the electrical work is over.  The photo shows four of my sources of GPS positon: the Lowrance on the left, the Trimble in the middle, the Raymarine at the right, and the laptop on the desk. 

The Lowrance Globalnav II is still trying to figure out where it is.  I've left it disconnected since Fremantle as a backup in case of lightening strike.  It's now woken up in a different decade and on the other side of the world.  It has acquired satellites but after 1 hour is still trying to figure out where it is.  It is either very slow or faulty.  Time will tell.

The laptop is displaying my location using the GpsDataLogger software, produced here in La Paz by David.  It accurately shows me in my slip, whereas the chart plotter shows me 150 yards out of position (coordinates are correct, but the chart is slightly off).

I've got 3 laptops running C-Map and GpsDataLogger.  If the electronics fail there is always paper: 3 small scale charts of the Pacific Ocean and one larger scale chart of Drake passage, to be used with one of three sextants that I have on board.

To the right of the laptop is the new Garmin 152H GPS that arrived today.  It's a great little unit but represents how not to get new equipment into Mexico.  Due to sloppy instructions on my part the $269 GPS was shipped to La Paz by UPS for $140.  Then on reception I had to pay over $50 import duty. The marina office made the mistake of paying the money without consulting with me and the chances of clawing back that money are slim and not worth the fight.

Never again.

1 comment:

chris said...

That is looking flash!

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me