This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Sea Anchor Chain and Dynaplate

The 18 ft diameter sea anchor parachute has been set with a chain off the bow roller.  The idea was to provide a chafe-free attachment to the boat.  Even though Para-Anchors Australia had given the OK for this I developed reservations when I became aware of the phenomenal loadings that can be place on the sea anchor line.  The bow roller assembly also supports the headstay.  Were that assembly to be ripped off the bow there would be high likelihood that I would lose the mast, with all that implies.

Today I purchased 3 meters of 10mm (3/8") chain and 2 shackles and set up a connection from the parachute line to the Samson post.  Were that post to give way I'd wind with a big hole in the forecastle, but at least I would still have a mast.

The photos show the new set up.  Bear in mind that when the sea anchor is deployed the red line stretched to the front of the boat. 


I've stowed the chain and will connect it to the red parachute line somewhere between La Paz and the equator.

--------

I've ordered a Dynaplate grounding plate from the local Lopez Marine.  It is to be strapped to the exterior of the hull at the stern and below the water line during my next haul out in a month or two.  I will then use four copper ribbons to connect the tuner to each of the four bolts that will protrude through the hull.  This should provide optimal RF grounding for the HF radio. 

I've ordered the largest of the series, the "Super Dynaplate", with dimensions 18" x 6" x 1/2".  The price on the Downwind Marine web site is $488 (http://www.downwindmarine.com/Grounding-Plate-Super-Dynaplate-18-x-6-x-1-2-p-17544.html).  Then I would have to deal with shipping and have to do advance work to make sure that I receive the item duty free.  For laughs I got the UPS pricing for shipment from San Diego to La Paz, and I got into near hysterics at the quotation of $216.28. Then I'd still have to deal with the Aduana (i.e. customs).

Lopez Marine will deliver it within 3 weeks for $608 all up, including customs and sales tax. 

I really missed the boat two weeks ago when I placed the order to be picked up by a friend when he passes through on his return to La Paz, but I hadn't come to a decision at the time. 

Installing the Dynaplate will necessitate the removal of the four large batteries under the cockpit floor.  The boat yard insists on this sort of work being done by their personnel, and that suits me.  However, I'll be watching everything like a hawk and won't hesitate to speak my piece.

1 comment:

chris said...

Ok...next time I see a hawk I will know he is called "Bob"!

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me