This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Standoffs and Check Valves

A cable connects the upper part of my backstay which acts the HF radio antenna to the tuner, down in the lazarette.  This cable runs along the lower part of the backstay that is not part of the antenna.  It is highly recommended that the cable be held off the backstay in order to eliminate coupling/signal loss between the cable and the backstay. 
Cutting Offsets

Today I finally got around to offsetting the cable.  The idea is to use a tube as the offset and use a plastic cable tie passing through the tube to hold the cable firmly to the backstay.  Where possible I used lengths of 5/16" fuel line hosing because I had it in stock and it is strong with a small diameter.  After some experimenting I settled on the technique of using a saw to cut the lengths of hose and wire cutters to cut out V-section seats for the backstay and cable.  A tape measure, marking pen, and cable ties were the other elements of the project.

Offsets along swages and fittings required larger diameter tubing and for that I used 25 mm reinforced water hose.

Recommended standoff distance ranges from 20 mm to 75 mm.  I chose a friend's recommendation of 30 mm.
Enlarge to see cable offset from the backstay

I consider this Version 1.0 of the offset.  If it holds up I'll stay with it because it is easy enough to maintain.  Otherwise V 2.0 will use rigid plastic piping.

Then I decided to follow up on Jak's suggestion to put a check valve just behind the intake of the 1 1/2" Whale Gusher bilge pump.  A check valve allows water to pass one way but not the other.  The hose has a long run to the drain at the lazarette and after I stopped pumping any water in the hose would drain back into the bilge. 

Finally I gave some protection to a cable passing from one solar panel to the other.  The sun has been cooking the insulation pretty badly.  I found a length of white1/2" water hose in my bodega, cut it to length, cut it lengthwise with a Stanley knife, then fitted it over the section of exposed wire.  I then fastened the hose tight with plastic ties.  That seemed to work OK.

New check valves on large Whale Gusher and smaller electric pump hoses

2 comments:

hemcoined said...

A tape measure, marking pen, and cable ties were the other elements of the project.
Check Valve Distributor

hemcoined said...

I am really impressed and you do an appreciative work.. thanks for sharing.

regards
Excess Flow Check Valve

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me