This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Monday, September 19, 2011

Back in Harness

Yesterday, Sunday, I finished unpacking and tidying up the boat then began to think about the Red Dot heater installation.  I soon realized that I would have to cut only a round 6" diameter hole instead of the larger rectangular hole that I had anticipated.  I sent a message to Bob asking to borrow his electric drill and mentioned my plan of taking the bus to Home Depot the following day in the hopes of finding a 6" hole cutter.
Heater Holes Cut With Electric Tools

In the afternoon I took the bicycle to Chedraui for some serious grocery shopping and returned with a load of fresh fish and plenty of fruit and vegetables.  Unfortunately the mangos and strawberries have disappeared from the shelves but I made up for it with plums and kiwi fruit. I didn't bring back any beer.  I had purchased an 8-pack of Pacifico Clara beer on Saturday afternoon and by Sunday night it was all gone.  It was time to climb on the wagon and clean up my act, and  I think of that 8-pack was my Farewell To Harms.

That evening I read Bob's reply in which he suggested that a "Sawzall" might do for the hole cutting job.  I didn't know what a Sawzall was but from his description it sounded like just the thing, so  I asked him to bring it.  He told me to expect him at 10 AM today.
Heater in Position.  Note Mounting Frame.

I dropped by the "palapa" coffee group this morning and let Al, Rick, Dan and Ken know that I was back.  John dropped by and I put the bite on him for his Dremmel tool so that I could trim off 3 mm from each side of the heater mounting frame.  He had it out on loan but he expected it back today. 

View of Back of Heater from Engine Compartment
I asked the group for advice on a problem that I had with my spray dodger.  When removing it before my trip to the USA I had noticed a 1.5" slit on the port plastic window.  I was hoping that there was some magic tape, glue, or welding technique by which I could repair it.  The firm opinion was that the entire window would have to be replaced, and if I left it as is the slit would get larger and larger.  Rick suggested the man to do it, asked if I wanted him to make a call, which I agreed to.  Thirty minutes later Francisco Javier Rodriques Alvarado was aboard Pachuca to look at the job.  By then Bob was on board which was a good thing because he made a good suggestion regarding my dodger and also wanted to see Francisco about a job for himself.

Bob's suggestion that covers might be a good idea because they would protect the windows from the sun when the boat was not under way.  Francisco said that the dodger was in good enough shape to warrant the covers so I agreed.  The replacement panel and two covers will cost 3000 pesos.  Amazingly, Francisco will return the dodger in only two days. 
Outlet Connection to Heater.  Note Shutoff Valve.

Once I saw the Sawzall I recognized the tool and it indeed looked like just what I needed.  I played around with it in the confined work space and it looked like I'd have enough maneuvering room.  In the Sawzall case were also two brand new wood blades.

After marking the area with cross hairs and a 6" circle I drilled a two starter holes at the top using a 37 mm spade.  Bob's drill was indispensable for this because my portable drill would not have had the torque to drive the spade.  I put on ear plugs and safety glasses then it was Show Time with the Sawzall.  The job went very well because the new blade made the cutting easy.  I couldn't cut the top of the circle because of a piece of framing, so there is a cord of about 3" at the top.  I then used the 37 mm spade to drill the two holes for the hose connections.  The holes had to be that large to accommodate the hose and clamps.

I then decided to call it a day, satisfied with the result and no major stuffups in measuring or cutting.  After 30 minutes of careful cleaning the sawdust from the engine bay and bilge it was 2.30 PM and the cabin temperature was nudging up to 103F.

An hour later I was woken from a nap by a knock on the hull.  It was John, delivering his Dremmel tool. 

With friends like that you can't go wrong.

1 comment:

Chris said...

True...survival is FRIENDS for sure!

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me