This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Doings

Yesterday morning I made a request on the Club Cruceros radio net for four diesel 5-gallon plastic jerry cans.  I got a response and at 10 AM I purchased 2 new-looking ("used only once") containers at only 100 pesos each, and got to meet Robert, an interesting sailor.  That gives me a total of 40 gallons of diesel on deck, vs. 35 gallons in the internal tanks.  I'll be putting out a call for 2 more containers (and 2 extendable whisker poles).

I rode the bicycle into town and purchased more fabric, then carried the cushions from the navigation seat and the port quarter berth to Carmen's house, a very short walk from the marina.  Bob had given me good instructions, and the sight of Carmen under an open shelter at her machine and surrounded by fabric screamed out "I am a seamstress!" to the world.  I'll pick up the covered cushions next week.

I then went to Chedraui's for some food shopping, and continued my program of steadily bringing in provisions for the boat during my normal shopping visits.  I returned with ten 1-kg bags of rice (at only 10 pesos per kilo), and 6 more cans of sardines in tomato sauce, among other things.

After resumption of my strict diet during the 10 days since my return from the USA it dawned on me that it makes no sense to deprive myself of the culinary delights of La Paz when I'm facing the prospect of close to 3 months at sea with narrow and diminishing dietary choices.  So I had a hearty lunch of rice and sardines and in the evening had 5 beef tacos (arrachera) at Rancho Viejo.  (That first sip of margarita after 10 days of abstinence was indescribably good.)  From Chedraui I brought back bread and tomorrow I'll really go wild and bring back some butter.  I even plan to go completely out of control and visit the ice cream shop up the malecon.

Hilary is still a category 3 hurricane about 600 miles SW of La Paz.  It is expected to weaken but nevertheless dump a lot of welcome rain on central and northern Baja and southern Texas.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Sometimes we crave different foods ....

Chris said...

Sounds like nearly time to leave...

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me