This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Lazarette Cover Fitted

Cover normally zipped down
This morning I fitted the lazarette cover designed to prevent water from curling off the seat into the lazarette then finding its way into the bilge.  I fastened it down with thin strips of aluminum fixed to the fiberglass with screws, marked the material, then took it to Doug at Snug Harbor Sails who made the final trimming while we chatted about boats and sailing.



Cover unzipped for access to lazarette
I think that the system will work well, keeping most if not all water out of the lazarette, yet allowing easy access to the doors and most importantly, allowing me to use the seat in comfort.  Time will tell.  For now I will put the cover away until I am more than 20 degrees south of the equator.  At that time I will install the cover, bedding it down on a mild sealant such as silicone or 3M 4000.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me