This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Provisioning Begins

Yesterday afternoon I took a bus to "Sam's Club", a big box store that in La Paz is a smaller version of the Costco's that I have visited in the USA.  They carried lines that either I had trouble finding in ordinary grocery stores (e.g. big bags of pecans) or were sold packaged on a scale useful for my needs (eg big 2.3 kg tins of whole powdered milk) so I paid the hefty 550 peso joining fee, which will probably be offset by the lower prices.
Portion of Day 1 hunting and gathering

I took one of my duffel bags in my back pack and returned with a hefty load that included 4.6 kg of powdered milk, 8 kg of rolled oats, and 10 kg of raisins.  I'll make regular visits to Sam's Club for the big and durable items, and rely on the ordinary stores for the smaller items.  In my last few days at La Paz I'll procure the perishable items.

It determining my quantities I had to keep reminding myself that although it is a long 10,000 miles to Cape Town the time involved will be around 12 or 13 weeks, which isn't too bad in provisioning terms for just one person.  I'm hoping that I'll be able to sail out with all of my provisions hidden away in the various holds. 

I've received a lot of good advice from the guys at the Palapa coffee group on where to get what.  It was Rick who suggested a visit to one of these Costco-like box stores.

And I've also gotten a few good laughs at the Palapa.  Last week I heard my comment of the year when the conversation got serious and somebody brought up the topic of the infamous, contentious, and highly emotive "Roe vs Wade" decision of the US Supreme Court on abortion rights.  "Row vs Wade?" asked John. "I don't dare for either.  That's why I have an outboard motor."  Ah, what a practical and healthy perspective on life!

1 comment:

Chris said...

Madly packing to get ready...keep going...

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me