This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Friday, January 25, 2013

Engine Serviced and Status from North Sails

I started the day by cleaning the galley cupboards and the stove and its surrounds, removing all dust and other material from the removal of the galley vent.  This was an appetizer for the main event of the day, servicing the engine.

It was after 9 AM when I finished that task and visited Action Yachting to see what motor oils they had in stock.  They sold Shell 15W40, which was identical to the 5 liters of Shell oil that I had purchased in Tahiti and was stored under the starboard quarter berth.  I fell into the trap of believing the Volvo manual's statement that the engine took 6.5 liters of oil so I purchased a second 5 liter container of Shell oil. 

Once I had the oil supply and new filter (my last) at the ready I ran the engine for 15 minutes to warm up the oil and stir it up a bit.  Then I used my hand pump very effectively to suck the old oil out  of the sump and deposit it into an empty oil container that I had carried for the purpose from Brazil.  When I heard the sucking sound I pumped harder to make sure that I removed all oil within my reach.  But that removed oil totaled just over 4.5 liter.  I then sacrificed an old towel and placed it below the engine and removed the oil filter, which may have accounted for another 0.5 liters of oil.  That meant that there was 1.5 liters of old oil remaining in the sump, but there was nothing that I could do about it.

After screwing in the new filter I poured in the new oil and found that the engine took exactly 5 liters.  That meant that I had purchased the additional 5 liters of Shell oil unnecessarily, although it will be useful as spare oil in the unlikely event that I need it, and will most definitely provide the supply for the next oil change.  (I've also got 5 liters of Dela 15W40 in store.)  I have made a note in the Volvo manual that only 5.0 liters is required for an oil change.

The Volvo engine presented as she is: near new condition
The manual did not specify a change cycle for the transmission.  I checked its ATF oil level and found it to be spot on and as clear as the day I had changed it, so did not do another change.

This engine oil change was at 369.9 engine hours.  The last oil change had been at 235.5 engine hours at Mar del Plata, so I had changed the oil after 134.4 hours of running time under the criterion that the oil should be changed after 500 hours of running time.  However, there is a time dimension to this and I noted that in 2 months it would have been 12 months since my last oil change and I would have been forced to do another oil change engine hours or no engine hours.  That would have placed me back in Australia but it was just as well to get it done now because when I reached Australia would be very busy seeing my friends then flying off to the USA for the June 50th "wrong end of life" class reunion.

I was asked during my later years of high school for the school newspaper what was my pet peeve.  My reply was "greasy grease guns".  I've got this thing about cleaning up afterwards so I spent a good hour cleaning the engine and its surrounds with warm soapy water.  I noted that the engine is still solidly mounted according to the superb design (thanks, Max) and implementation in La Paz Mexico.

Then I attacked the storage area under the navigation seat which had been contaminated with oil from the grease gun and sump oil pump and salt water from the heavy rolling during the passage from Brazil.  I removed all of the parts and tools, cleaned out the compartment, then took everything to the jetty and flushed it all in fresh water.  I then laid them on the jetty to dry in the sun and went on to other things.  Later I sprayed everything with WD40, wiped it down, and repacked it into the storage area.

After lunch I contacted Steve Meek of North Sails.  I had not heard from him since Monday and still did not have a quotation for their work.  To his credit he was at Pachuca within 2 hours  When he visited he confirmed that he had sent his quotation to me via email, that the mainsail was ready with its re stitching and 3rd reef, as was the small lee cloth that I had requested for the starboard berth.  He brought with him the plastic track that I had told him that I was ready for.  Now that I have removed all of the press studs from the old spray dodger and filled the holes with epoxy I can now fit the new side tracks on a bed of 3M 5200.  I will let Steve know when that is done so that he can come down and fit a mockup of the new spray dodger.

The quotation for the work is as follows.  If I am publishing trade secrets it is for the good, because in my opinion it exemplifies the moderate prices of work in South Africa:

 2 PVc weathercloths @495.00 each  (AUD $53)  (This is for the heavy
Dodger)   R6400.00 (AUD $685)
Mainsail cover R4844.00  (AUD $518)
Pvc leecloth R140.00  (AUD $15)
Above prices exclude VAT@14 %


 I expect to claw back the VAT before I depart SA.

I consider the prices very reasonable.  To quote part of my response to  Steve: "Thank you for the quotations.  They look fine to me.  I have learned that price is secondary to quality and the important thing is that I have confidence in the standard of work that North Sails will do."  But if we're going to talk money, let's compare the $685 AUD that I will be paying for the new spray dodger with the $1,830 AUD that I paid in Sep 2007 for a spray dodger and a simple cover over my bimini and two zip-on drop down sun screens. 



2 comments:

Chris said...

Hope you aren't leaving WA to go to USA till the end of June. I will miss you.

Barry and Joyce said...

Pachuca has the best engine access I have ever seen. Looks like navel desinger of pachuca boat made this high priorety.
I tease Joyce that my next boat will have an engine room!
Islander 36 has many fine qualities. Engine access is not one of them. Barry

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me