This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Friday, January 18, 2013

A Walk to Paarden Eiland

Yesterday afternoon I braved the second day of strong winds to make the walk to a new part of the city for me, Paarden Eiland, along the coast toward the NE and away from the city center.  My immediate objectives were to visit North Sails and find the boat shops that Steve had told me were in the area.  There were the other usual benefits of exploration, becoming familiar with the area the best way, on foot, and exercise.

It took me over an hour to find North Sails because the Google map showing its location was of necessity simplified and there were many streets not show.  Nevertheless after several wrong turns and help from people along the way I crossed the Liesbeek River and found the place.  Steve was not in but I spoke with one of his colleagues and left a sketch of another very simple job request: a lee cloth measuring 700mm x 600mm for the starboard quarter berth area.  I am tired of having cargo fall out into the quarter berth crossover during heavy heels to port and this should stop that.  There is a lee cloth on the port quarter berth from the days when Arnold slept there, and it works very well, enabling me to cram the bunk high with gear.

I then trekked back to Paarden Eiland Road and found the two boat shops.  The one that attracted me more was Seaport Supply, which I found to be the best boat shop since the USA.  I told the young man that this was just a reconnaissance mission because I felt tired and disheveled after having been walking around in the wind and heavy traffic for hours.  They have spectra rope for new Monitor wind steering control lines, though they are 8mm in diameter and not the 6mm recommended by Scanmar.  They've got a reasonable selection of boat fenders and the ones suitable for my boat were amazingly  cheap at around R200.  I will return today (Saturday) with my shopping list.  Fortunately the bus station is only a few meters away at the next corner, which will be helpful because I expect to be carrying 4 boat fenders,

I then set off back to the club satisfied that I was now familiar with the light industrial zone of the city that seemed top have every conceivable service for cars, trucks, buses, motorcycles, boats, ships, people (clothing, appliances, and medical), etc.

I had set off at 2 PM and got back to the club much more tired than I would have expected from a 3 hour walk, which I attributed to the high wind and heavy traffic.  There is something debilitating about strong gusty winds - it seems to suck the energy out of me.  It seemed like a constant battle to keep my footing and not be thrown over a rail or onto the road.  The wrap around sun glasses protected my eyes from the grit but I could feel it grinding between my teeth.

Crossing the busy Marine drive from the container terminal road was a trap that is going to get somebody killed.  The first time I crossed it I set off on the green "walk" signal just as a double lane of traffic took off like race cars on their green light to make a left turn into my path.  I found myself literally running for my life through this traffic that was in too much of a hurry to be concerned about an insignificant pedestrian.  I had to make the crossing a second time but this time I let the wall of traffic make its turn and get past.  By then the "walk" sign was flashing so I stepped onto the road to dash across quickly.  On my second step a car making a right turn onto the highway from behind caught my eye and I stopped just in time to have the car whiz by like a bull passing the toreador as the driver yelled something at me.  All I needed was a red cape.  Ole!  Seriously, that "walk" sign is a trap for the unwary, who has a choice:  ignore the lights and run like hell when you see an opening, or obey the "walk" sign and wake up in intensive care taking comfort from the knowledge that you were legally in the right.

When I reached the club I headed straight for the bar and washed down the grit in my teeth with a tall half liter glass of cold drought beer.  Later after a long hot shower I visited the bar again and enjoyed two glasses of their house red while I looked out on the maria and watched the wind throwing the boats around like corks.

I had survived the day and life was looking pretty good again.


2 comments:

sm said...

Caught up with the blog, you have been a busy man! Love the photos, but see very few people? The canal area and condos would be a great place to live.

Chris said...

Robert you did well finding the boat shop you really liked. Seems like a lot of people and traffic on the roads and footpaths. Take care.

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me