This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Winches Serviced

Today was a sunny but windy day so I decided to stay on the boat and begins servicing the winches.  By 7 PM I had serviced the 4 cockpit winches, Maxwell two-speed self tailing 28's.  Four winches in one day was a new record for me, but servicing regularly seems to pay big dividends in the ease with which the winches can be taken apart and cleaned.
First winch ready for cleaning and lubrication.  Note sheet to guard against parts and tools going overboard.

I found that the lanolin grease that I had used in my last service in Argentina had worked very well.  The old grease was much easier to remove than the standard winch grease.

At the end of the day the four winches were moving and clicking like new ones so I rewarded myself with a long hot shower and a tall draft beer followed by 2 glasses of house red at the bar.

Early tomorrow I will tackle the 2 Maxwell 22's on the cabin.  Because they are smaller they are easier to service so I think that I can do them in the time that it takes to service one of the 28's.  If the wind is light as expected I will then raise the mainsail and call Steve to come and have a look.

After the winches are serviced the only major hands on maintenance task will be an oil and filter change of the engine,

1 comment:

Chris said...

You did a great job servicing the 4 cockpit winches. Hope you used the same grease on them so they work again for you.

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me