This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Meetings

On Thursday I met with Lisa and discussed the remedy for the Profurl system. The choice was whether to repair the existing drum or replace it with a slightly more robust one. In either case a new lower extrusion was required. Dan said that he could repair the drum with confidence that it would get me back to Australia OK. However, after looking at the stripped threads and extra holes drilled in an attempt to keep screws in I realized that I had had enough of that drum and elected to get a new replacement. That will add $1,000 to the roller furler cost.

On Friday I visited Kelsey to discuss the proposed sail repairs. We went through the proposals line by line. The big change was that we've taken the replacement of the UV edging on the jib off the table, saving about $1300. If I expect to be in a tropical port for more than a few weeks I'll drop the jib and store it below to protect it from the sun. I had the bright idea of dropping off the jib next week and sailing the San Juans with one of my spare jibs, the light one Kelsey was delighted because it allows them to work while I am away. I am to be back by 4 September to hand in the mainsail for its repairs, which will require about 3 working days.

Incidentally, much of the chafing damage to the jib was exacerbated by the loose headstay that I ran with between Australia and New Zealand. Between damage to the jib and the roller drum that problem has cost me plenty. Another hard earned lesson for me.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me