This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Small Jobs

I spent literally hours cleaning the places where I had removed fittings. Scraping every bit of sealant off in preparation for filling in and painting was a tedious and slow job.

Dan passed by and offered to lend me the pickup to take the headsail to the sailmaker's. I replied that it was less than a year old and that it was OK but after some reflection I realized that I only thought that it was OK. Maybe the sail maker would spot and correct a problem before it got serious. So I took the sail to the loft this afternoon and two of the women helped me to drag it inside. Gee I like that place. Maybe I can put on some drag and apply for a job.

I removed the jib halyard and will hand it in tomorrow for a replacement.

I had a chat with Joe at BUMS about the antifouling. I told him that I accepted that their antifouling was good for 2 years, but that would be here at latitude 48. I had 20 months of sailing ahead of me and much of it would be in the tropics. It seemed to me that a third coat of antifouling could make the difference in getting me to Australia without the need for another haulout. He agreed, so next week he will give the hull a light sanding and put on another coat of antifouling.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Removing sealant is so hard especially off the front of a stove once the plastic has chipped off around the knobs!! Don't think I could rock around on your boat at the moment!!

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me