This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Change of Pace

Brenda had a pretty good trip home and seemed quite lively when I spoke with her.

Yesterday I had a quiet day messing around in the boat that will probably be the prototype for my next few months. 

I left the apartment with two modest goals for the day:  have another go at fixing the bicycle and replacing a plug on the heavy cable that supplies dock power to the boat. 

The problem with the bicycle is that the nut holding the left pedal keeps coming loose.  This time I cleaned the area with soapy water then used a lot of loctite in an attempt to keep the pedal and the nut holding it from coming loose. 

I went to Arco and got a 15-amp plug for what I thought was a very reasonable price of 29 pesos.  Back at the boat I took my time about putting it on the cable but in the end it was a good job and Pachuca once again had shore power.

I then spent several easy and relaxing hours doing preparatory work for the varnishing and returned to the apartment at about 4 PM.

I have tenure in this apartment for about 2 more weeks, and it is likely that I will move back into the boat after that.  I want to use these two weeks to do some work inside of the cabin, namely a lot of varnishing and an attempt to replace the four burners on the stove.  For the stove job I'll have to remove one of the burners in my quest for parts, and it makes sense to do it now while I am doing my cooking in the apartment.

Later will come the outside work such as cleaning and polishing the hull and stainless steel and cleaning yet once again the anchor windlass foot switch which gave me trouble during our last outing.

Fortunately there are no serious repair jobs.  Everything except that foot switch survived engine replacement intact. 

The volume and content of this blog will reflect the slower pace of the next few months, but that's the way it goes: lazy days at the marina one month and battling heavy seas the next.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Another month relaxing...lucky sailor

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me