This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Un Mes Mas

Although Teresa lived and worked in Southern California for several years her English is not very good.  That is understandable since parts of California are so Latinised that one can lead a pretty full life speaking Spanish only. 

So I communicate with Teresa via a web-based translator.  When Teresa came by to deliver four US quarters for the washing machine I asked "Tiene un momento?"  I sat her down next to me and entered in English: "I would like to stay in this apartment for another month."  I was then able to read out "Me gustaría estar en este apartamento por un mes más." She nodded and replied "Entiendo".  Then I entered: "I have much more work to do on the boat and it is better that I sleep here" and read out "Tengo mucho trabajo que hacer en el barco y es mejor que dormir aquí."  For me this works very well because my reading and pronunciation is surprisingly good after more than a half century since I spoke Spanish.  Anyway, Teresa told me that she also was happy that I was staying and on that felicitous note I went down and started the load of washing.


As I told Ib a few days ago, I have been getting more ambitious with the boat maintenance work and would like to do as much painting, varnishing, and polishing as possible in the next few months.  But this isn't practical if I try to cook and sleep on the boat because of both the lack of room and the need to avoid breathing paint fumes while I am sleeping.  


Besides, like I told Teresa, Me gusta vivir aquí.

The apartment is hardly an extravegance: furnished, serviced, electricity & gas supplied, for 3500 pesos per month which equates to $288.50 AUD at the current exchange rate, or about $9.60 AUD ($10.23 USD) per day.  Cripes, the air conditioner alone is worth that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Robert,
I thought you spoke Spanish fluently as a kid. Are you saying it is possible to lose a tongue completely over many years of non-use? Oh gee. I haven't practiced Italian much since I went to Florence 17 years ago. All that $$ spent on lessons is dissipating?

Sue and I are glad that you are staying in Mexico until the storm season is over. Even when fairly benign, the horn can be a rough passage.

I'm still enjoying your blogs. Take care

Peter Sumner

Chris said...

Lucky you can speak some different languages!!

Coral said...

Definitely you can lose a language if you don't speak it for years, especially if you were only a kid - my David was nearly four when he came to Aust and soon forgot Croatian (though we didn't realise this until we went back there) Then when we did go back, he forgot English. Never completely though because he was learning in school.
You will learn Spanish much more quickly than someone who never spoke it

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me