This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Friday, November 9, 2012

Back in Bracuhy

The trip from Rio to Pachuca at Marina Bracuhy (also spelled “Bracui”) went to plan.

Another reason why I left Rio a day early was that I wasn't sure how I was going to get all of the luggage to Bracuhy and wanted to resolve the matter quickly.  The big problem was how to be able to move around even short distances carrying 2 heavy duffel bags, a backpack, and the case with three computers.  In the wee hours of the morning I concluded that the only chance I had would be to carry the heavier duffel bag on my back,  the duffel bag with one hand and the backpack and computers with the other.  The computer case had wheels and an extendable handle, so I transferred as much material as possible from the backpack to the duffel bags to lighten it then figured out a way to strap the backpack to the handles so that it could ride on top of the computer case. 

I used the Google translator to write a message to the hotel concierge advising him of my early departure with the request that he hold the room for me until noon in case I was forced to return.  I showed the note to him just before the start of breakfast at 7 AM and he nodded OK.  After breakfast I turned in the room key, moved the baggage to the street and waited about 3 minutes for a cab.  After the cab dropped me off at the bus station it was Show Time with the baggage.  I managed  fine with the load, and just as well because it took a bit of searching along 2 floors of the terminal to find the Costa Verde ticket counter.  After another sweaty walk I positioned myself at gate 8 for the 9 AM bus.  Soon we were on the move and though the window I got a clear view of Christ the Redeemer watching over the city, but I could see clouds building up.  The 3.5 hour bus ride went quickly for me because of my usual trick of dozing on the way.  There was one stop on the way for food at a nice cafeteria and  I satisfied myself by munching on an apple that I had brought from the breakfast table.

At the Angra bus station there was a young lady at an Information booth.  She confirmed that the best method of getting to Bracuhy with all of my luggage was by cab.  She estimated the cost at 50 Reals (I had figured on up to 200 Reals) and advised me to get a firm price from the driver and not rely on the meter.  The first cab outside of the bus station quoted the odd figure of 91 Reals and I agreed.  We zipped down the highway pretty fast and at 1 PM I was at the marina.  I paid the taxi driver 104 Reals over his protest that 100 Reals was sufficient.  We then shook hands and then I made the 150 meter walk to the boat.

I left the baggage on the jetty and boarded the boat for a look around.  Everything was exactly as I had left it and it was as though I had been away for only a couple of days.  I checked the battery voltages and read 13.8V on the house bank and 12.1V on the starter bank.  The solar panels and wind charger had done well in bringing up the house bank.  (They do not charge the starter bank.)  I moved the fuel jerry cans from the cabin to the deck then as I was placing the outboard motor on the stern rail I said “Hola” to a familiar face.  He said something to me and as soon as I figured out that he wanted to help load the baggage on board I beamed and shook my head saying Si!  It was much, much easier to have the bags handed to me than for me to do it alone.

After doing most of the unpacking I went out to try my luck for fruit and vegetables at the local shop.   On the way I dropped by the office, said hello to the staff, then handed each of the ladies a key ring from Seattle.  There were two left over so I left them on the counter to be distributed to other employees.  They were very appreciative but unfortunately the big language barrier prevented any meaningful conversation.

I got real lucky at the shop.  The fruit 'n veggie man must have come through that day because there was a wide selection of very fresh fruit and vegetables.  I returned to the boat carrying a heavy load.

The season has definitely changed during my absence.  The air is hot and muggy, and there are clouds around the tops of the hills.  It reminds me of Fiji many years ag and Raevavae not that long ago.  It has been raining steadily for three hours and there is no sign of abating.  I don't think that this is a fleeting thing because I have seen mold forming in various parts of the boat both below and above the deck.  The rain will probably hamper my ability to make Skype calls because I must make them outside in the open air.

I finished the day happy and grateful that the boat had been safe during my absence and that I had managed to lug all of that baggage from Kingston to the boat with no damage or loss and without hurting my back. 




1 comment:

Chris said...

Great you were happy and grateful that the boat had been safe during your absence / holiday

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me