This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Last Visit to Port Townsend

On Saturday morning I drove into Port Townsend to see some friends before I departed for Brazil.

Unfortunately Port Townsend Rigging was closed so I was not able to see Dan and Lisa, but that's OK because I got to see plenty of them at Sue's house.
Lighthouse Replica as Private Home
On the way to the town center I stopped to photograph what I had thought  was a disused lighthouse.  I had learned from a local man during a visit to Toad and Francis's house that it is a private home built as a replica of the 1906 Mukilteo Lighthouse in Puget Sound.  There seems to be a similar replica at Point Hudson (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kellymanningphotography/3474785199/)

I then wandered into the Maritime Center to see Simeon and his progress in building his SCAMP boat.  He was not in when I arrived but while I was looking at the next stage of the building process with the hull now up he walked in and I got to spend close to an hour with him.  He explained the steps in this phase of the construction and showed me components of the boat scattered all over the large facility.  I learned more about boat modern boat building techniques and admired the superb high quality equipment in the facility.  It is a boat builder's heaven for the expertise available as well as the space and equipment.

Simeon showed me on his Samsung Android Tablet the track of a sail that he and a friend had done on a SCAMP the previous day.  In a 14-15 kt wind they made good about 5.5 kt on one leg and averaged about 3.5 kt for the entire sail.  The SCAMP is an amazing little boat.  (http://www.google.com.au/search?q=scamp+boat&hl=en&newwindow=1&tbo=u&noj=1&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=xnKWUNWLLeGvyQHZp4CADg&ved=0CEYQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=620)

Simeon's Samsung table impressed me greatly.  He had been able to use the tablet as a GPS then later impose the track onto a Google map.   In nautical GPS mode it has the look and feel of the real thing, including direction, boat speed, and track.  A lot has changed since I left Australia 4.5 years ago, and it appears to me that commodity electronics today is a fast moving target and the longer we wait the better it gets.

I am looking forward to Simeon's invitation to sail in his boat on my next visit to Port Townsend.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me