This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Hull and Batteries

Two days ago I received a message from Mark in Port Townsend asking about the new batteries for the boat's starter bank.  One of the outcomes of a recent consultation session with him and a colleague at Haven Boat Works concerning my battery charging system was the recommendation that the two Delkor 130 A/H sealed batteries of the starter bank should be replaced.  These batteries predate my purchase of the boat in 2005 and from memory are about 12 years old.  The big problem was the likelihood that the older starter batteries were sucking the life of the newer house bank.  I had a chance to replace them in New Zealand in 2008 when the boat's electrical system was significantly upgraded, but the consultant did not recommend their replacement.  (Another outcome of our recent meeting was the opinion that the four size 8D Gel batteries delivering 920 A/H to the house are not overkill.)

Anyway, I replied to Mark that I had decided to try to get by with what I had until I got to Australia.  That night I checked the starter bank and it was down to 12V.  True, they had not been charged for about 3 months since my departure for the USA because the solar panels and wind generator charge the house bank, but nevertheless it was another indication of their age.  I decided then to try to do something about the problem.   What had been putting me off were the lack of transport, knowledge of where to go, and worst of all, my language problem.  Fortunately I had met Alexandre of Delta Yacht Charter only two days previously and decided to try seek his assistance.  He manages a small fleet of charter boats which means that he is well plugged into the boat maintenance world, he is within easy reach at the end of the jetty, he is very helpful, and he speaks English!

Yesterday morning I visited Alexandre and started off by thanking him for arranging for young Luis to do the underwater hull work because he had done a great job.  Then I asked him if he could help me with my battery problem.  I specified two size 8D AGM (absorbed glass mat) 200 a/h batteries to match the physical size of the existing batteries.  Alexandre replied that size 8D has no meaning to his battery people and I should provide him with the actual dimensions.  He also told me that AGM batteries were not available (at least in his world) so we settled on maintenance free lead-acid.  I got back with the battery measurements and post locations then he made a phone call and learned that matching my specifications would be difficult with the available made-in-Brazil batteries.  He planned to drive to Angra next Thursday and suggested that he take me to the battery place where he would act as the interpreter.  I happily agreed.

Back at the boat I thought about the battery size question and saw right away that I don't need a 400 a/h bank dedicated solely to starting the engine (Duh!).  I drew a diagram of the battery box then returned to Alexandre's office.  He was of the same opinion that 400 a/h was overkill and we agreed that two smaller 100 a/h batteries would be sufficient, which meant that the new batteries would comfortably fit into the box.  On that basis I will be taking plenty of cash with me on Thursday in the expectation of  purchasing two replacement batteries. 

During the rest of the day I wiped most of the surfaces in the cabin with a weak solution of bleach in order to remove mold, then tied most of the diesel containers to the rails, and finished up by unpacking the Zodiac and inflating it in preparation for washing the above-water part of the hull on the following day.  I'll decide on whether to go to the effort of polishing the hull by hand after I've seen the results of the washing.  Once this hull task has been completed I'll put up the rail netting along the foredeck.  The hull work must be completed first because to do it I'll need to be able to grab onto the toe rail, which would not be possible with the netting up.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Things never stop do they??? Glad you sorted out the batteries.

Unknown said...

Very nice and helpful information has been given in this article. Battery services in Bangalore | gel batteries

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me