This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Friday, November 9, 2012

Off to Bracui

Yesterday I visited the Christ the Redeemer statue overlooking the city as planned.  I managed to get to the base of the mountain by bus and eventually learned that buses 422 and 497 will get one from the central city to the mountain.  Buses 405 and 498 will probably be OK too.

The way up the mountain was via a 2-car electric train at 45 Reals a ticket.  To my disappointment as we approached the top we got into cloud and  was able to see only fleeting glimpses of the city. In the crowded, breezy, and misty conditions I had no desire to wait for possibly hours in the hope of a clear view and after 20 minutes I began my descent.  It was a disappointment but when traveling one can't wait for an optimal time and must take what comes.

I woke up at 3 AM this morning and decided to depart for Angra and Bracui today instead of tomorrow.  I've been up Sugar Loaf mountain and the beaches and now prefer to return to the boat instead of spending a day wandering around the city.

1 comment:

Chris said...

No picture of Christ the Redeemer?????????????????????????

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me