This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Blog Update from Sailmail

My first blog update from the boat since returning from the USA was supposed to be a test only, to validate the entire system from the new Toshiba navigation computer running the newly installed Airmail 3 software to the HF radio, Pactor III modem, and finally the email address that Stephen set up for the updates.

Unfortunately this will also have to serve as my blog update because the wireless internet service that I've been using abruptly stopped working at about 8.30 AM. The service is not available using either the Acer/XP or the Toshiba/Win7 system, so I'm confident that it is a weekend problem that will be rectified on Monday (tomorrow) morning. Until the service is restored I will not be able to communicate via either Skype or my Gmail address.

This morning I spent some time with the rigging. I had noticed that the leeward lower shrouds still looked just a tad loose when going to weather after my first adjustment so I gave them each another half turn of the turnbuckle. I also gave the intermediate shrouds a half turn but left the cap shrouds alone because they seemed nice and tight.

I then spent an hour checking out the anchor to make sure that it is ready for use. I'll keep the 45 lb plow anchor on the roller until I am on my way and well clear of the South American continent and then I'll either lash it to the mast or stow it in the clothes closet on top of the 50 lb Swarbrick. I will leave all the chain and rode up front in the anchor well. For the run to the Horn I moved all of the chain back to lighten the bow, but I will not do it this time because I expect to make landfall at Tristan de Cunha after only about 20 days after a somewhat easier passage than the Horn, given that we'll be running at about latitude 40S - about 900 miles north of the latitude of the Horn.

In the afternoon I put up new netting as before, from the pulpit to the stanchion across from the mast. Lashing the netting to that stanchion was a bit tricky because first I had to untie the ropes holding the planks to which a line of full jerry cans were attached. I then managed to pry the boards back just enough to allow me to work. Unfortunately it looks like I miscalculated and the remaining netting will be 1-2 feet short of the stanchion on the port side. I'll have to get creative and fill that gap with plenty of cord running between the end of the netting and the stanchion.

But the port side netting will have to wait one more day because tomorrow is the day when Alexandre will take me to the battery place. Fortunately I have enough cash on board and did not have to make a special trip to the ATM at Angra. The plan is for the batteries to be delivered by the company to the marina, I suppose because Alexandre does not want to be running around with two heavy batteries in the car. After the visit for the batteries I'll stay with Alexandre and he'll drop me off at Angra so that I can do some shopping. (I need a haircut but may as well wait until closer to departure time.

The starter batteries, by the way, settled down at 12.7V after yesterday's engine run and after 24 hours are down to 12.3V.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

1 comment:

Chris said...

Seems like the big heavy batteries are for Pachuca and not laptops. Shame your laptops are not working well.

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me