This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Carpet Laying and Hola Teresa

I spent most of the day laying down as much carpet as I had on hand.  I deliberately purchased an under amount knowing that I can go back and get the exact amount needed to finish the job.

As you can see in the first photo I've laid carpet along the starboard side of the cabin.  The second photo shows the square piece in the middle to match the floor board that I must lift up to manage the raw water cooling valve.

Shortly after finishing the job the thought crossed my mind that spending hard weeks restoring floors then covering up the result with carpet could quite reasonably be deemed as bordering on lunacy.  I'm glad that I don't have to explain myself to an inquisitive 6 year old.

The carpet is not what Ib has on his boat and in fact it could be an underlay rather than a carpet.  But I like its lightness and resistance to water and am banking on its gripping qualities when under load to keep it in place.  Time will tell.

This morning Ken told me that the apartment that he had been trying to get had been rented to somebody else and he wanted to look at the apartment building that I had just vacated.  Just after lunch he came to the boat then we walked to the building. While I was showing Ken the court yard and laundry I gave the lady next door a wave then we saw Teresa looking down from the third floor.  I told her that Ken was interested in the apartment and waved us to come up. Teresa showed Ken the apartment that I had just vacated.  Ken liked what he saw and agreed to take it starting on Monday morning.  As a bonus Teresa got the OK from the lady next door, who seems to be the owner, for Ken to park his truck inside the courtyard behind the locked gate.  During the walk back Ken expressed great satisfaction with the arrangement and said that finding a suitable place has taken a big load off his mind. 

I am looking forward to Roger's visit tomorrow.  With luck I'll have a working refrigerator before the afternoon.  (YES!)

1 comment:

Chris said...

The carpet sure does match. Great!

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me