This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

More Paint

When I purchased my first 4 liters of Dupont Imron paint I figured that it was more what I would require but purchasing a 4 liter can was much more cost effective than purchasing by the liter.  Well, yesterday I visited Dupont for my second 4 liter can, which gives an idea of how much paint I have been laying down.

The technician behind the counter remembered me.  "Quatro litros mas de Imron, gracias" I told him.  I passed over the can of Dulux paint from Australia and asked "Recuerdo?"  He smiled and nodded that he remembered.  Watching him match the color was fascinating.  He laid out a blob of Dulux on the counter about the size of a 50 cent piece, had a look at the color, them fetched three tints.  He got to work mixing, putting a drop of the intermediate results next to the Dulux until he was satisfied.  He the wiped the paint off the counter, laid down another blob of the Dulux then put a drop of the Imron on top of the Dulux. It was a perfect match.  This man is a virtuoso.

I asked him for a box and he produced one, put in the paints, reducer and thinner, then taped it up for my bicycle ride to the marina.  While I was paying words were exchanged and cashier asked me if I wanted a ride.  My initial response was No, but when she asked again I said OK, and that I was going to Marina de La Paz.  I thanked her very much and she told me in slow and very direct Spanish that it was part of the service.  A few seconds later there was a pickup truck in front of the shop and one man put my paint and bicycle in the back and the other one drove me to the marina and unloaded the bike while I unloaded the paint.  I wondered later where in Australia or the USA I would get this kind of service over a purchase of 4 liters of paint.

Even Comex is treating me well.  For the last few weeks I've been running around the marina wearing my Comex cap.  Last week the local Comex rang around to see what other outlet could supply me with a small can of filler and fortunately the Comex store near CCC had one.  I showed up there soon afterward and the senorita behind the counter must have seen my Comex cap and thought that she was not going to be outdone because she produced a very handy paint can opener which is so useful that I wonder why I have spent all of these years opening lids with screw drivers.  

I'm starting to feel at home in La Paz.  I'd better watch myself.  This weekend I went to the boating trash 'n treasure at the Abaroa boat yard next door and spoke with a man who was selling all sorts of great yacht fittings.  "They look new" I said.  He said that the were.  He had stocked his boat with all sorts of gear for a world cruise and had not gotten any farther than La Paz.  "I keep hearing that story" I told him. 

After unloading the paint I spotted Ib and Yadranka at Club Cruceros.  I went over to say hello and hasta la vista to Yadranka, who was flying off to Australia in the early afternoon.  I took the opportunity to take the accompanying photo of them.  Yadranka will be returning to La Paz on 18 November, and it looks like she will be arriving on the same airplane that will be taking me to Los Angeles, so we may be able to say a quick "hello" at the airport.  In the meantime, Ib and I hope to take Pachuca out for a sail as soon as I can get the boat in sailing order.



Today I laid the second coat on the V berth area.  I'll probably lay a third and last coat tomorrow.  After that I'll put the wood fascia on the longitudinal stringers then varnish them.  I also plan to paint the lids of the sail storage compartments in the V berth. 

2 comments:

Chris said...

Wow! Pachuca is certainly being upgraded. Well done!

Unknown said...

Looking good... did you feel it?

btw - thanks for writing a great blog... keeps us desk-bound dreamers alive.

carl

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me