This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Start of Port Side

The first photo shows the mold-stained carpeting on the port side of the cabin.

Pachuca is an S&S 39 designed as an IOR ocean racer.  That upper section is supposed to be a sleeping berth.  On a windward passage there would have been advantage in having two crewmen sleeping on the weather side of the boat - one below on the settee, the other one above.  In that section I fitted a book case (removed for the painting) and in its starboard companion a very useful cupboard had been fitted.

Note how the ceiling line undulates.  The starboard side is the same, indicating an underlying systemic problem of the supports not properly lined up.  This is part of the ceiling renovation work that I plan for that mythical time when I return to Fremantle.  

The next photo shows the glue that must be removed, using Comex varnish thinner.  There is nothing like experience.  After my effort with the starboard side I knew the required technique, tools, material, and how everything would behave. I did that job in an unexpectedly short four hours.

The final photo shows the staples that remained after I pulled out the velcro strips designed to hold the seat backs in position.  It was bad enough to mutilate the wood with all of those staples, but that is a judgement call.  What I found unacceptable, however, was the use of ordinary mild steel staples instead of stainless steel ones.  That left me with the task of ripping out the tops of the corroded staples, punching in the sharp feet that remained embedded in the wood, the filling each hole.  I will avoid staples - maybe big a few large squares of glued on velcro if I can't think of anything better.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Guess you will have so much work done over there that oz will be your dream!

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me