This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Friday, July 22, 2011

Day 4

Reggie has laid most of the boards on the sole and has started on the aft seat.  He left at about 2.30 PM telling me that he would work a few hours tomorrow (Saturday), but not work on Sunday.  Before he left I handed him 23,300 pesos, just over $2,000 USD, to cover half of the work.  I'm having to "milk" the ATM every day for the 6000 peso limit and I didn't want to accumulate too much cash on my premises.  It is all done on mutual trust.  I handed over a stack of 500's, 200's, 100's, and 50's with a slip that listed the current exchange rate, the conversion, and the number of bills in each denomination.  He didn't even count the money and took it home to do the counting there. 

After Reggie left the temperature dropped quickly (from 105.7 F in the cabin), the wind picked up, there was thunder, and dark clouds threatened.  This is the effect of Hurricane Dora, working its way to the NW more or less parallel to the Baja Peninsula.  It will be due west of La Paz on Sunday morning, but fortunately by then it is expected to have degenerated to a Tropical Cyclone.  Nevertheless it is expected to result in badly needed heavy rains for this area.  That won't be good for my teak work but it will be great for the ecology.  I have cleared the cockpit of Reggie's electrical tools and removed the tarps.

This morning I dropped by the immigration office after the prescribed 10 day wait.  My new FM3 visa was not ready and I am to return next Tuesday. It's a good thing that the immigration office is only a block away from my apartment, and it's also good that I'm in no great hurry.

1 comment:

chris said...

You sound quite relaxed lone sailor

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me