This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Monday, July 25, 2011

Mixed Day

It's been a mixed day and I'll dispense with the bad part first.

Shortly after Reggie and young Nahum were settled into their work I went to the immigration office.  The guy at the counter told me for the second time that the FM3 wasn't ready.  Instead of going away I said "Catorce dias pasado.  Hay una problema?"  (14 days passed.  Is there a problem?)  He went away for a few minutes then came back with an explanation that I could not understand.  I asked him to speak more slowly, then he said the work "penalty" in English.   Huh?  ... er ... What penalty?  Something about my having two documents instead of one.  Huh?  The penalty was over 500 pesos.  Eventually an English speaker was brought out and he "explained" that I was here in Mexico on two documents, a tourist card and an FM3.  What tourist card?  I've never had a tourist card.  Last year I got my first FM3 with no mention of a tourist card.  None of it made any sense to me so I told them that I would get help from Eco Naviera.   

I visited Eco Naviera two hours later and after looking at my copy of the notice of the penalty, the experienced man could make nothing of it either.  He said that maybe I had made a mistake in my on line application.  I told him that I had been pretty careful in filling out the document, which had been checked and passed as OK when I made my personal application.  Had they detected a problem then they would have asked for more money at that time.

I made it clear that I'm not concerned with the money, but I must (1) understand what the penalty is for and (2) be assured that the claim is legitimate.  I found it suspicious that they were happy to keep asking me to come back with no explanation, and it was left to me to ask them if anything was wrong.  Eco Naviera will look into it tomorrow morning.

Aft Seat Planked
I got back to the boat pretty steamed up but felt better when I saw how much progress Reggie had made.  A chat with Nahum about soccer and other endeavors of 12-year-olds settled me more.  Nevertheless I knew that if I just sat around I would start brooding so it was best to keep active.   I had earlier written down the requirements for a quotation from the Abaroa boat yard, including a step by step description of the installation of the Dynaplate.  I took that list and ran it through the Google translator to get a parallel specification in Spanish.  Armed with this I walked over to Abaroa.

Companionway Step Planked
That visit went very well.  The girl - who knows little English - read the Spanish text and got the gist of what I needed.  She then called a fellow over who turned out to be Antonio.  We discussed the job across the language barrier then he suggested that we visit the boat.  Ahora?  I asked, pleased that I was getting such fast and close attention.  Here at the boat I was able to show him the Dynaplate, the copper grounding ribbons, the below-cockpit section from which the two large batteries must be moved in order to allow access, and the lazarette where I showed him the tuner and the place on the floor where the slit must be cut to allow the copper grounding ribbon to pass to the Dynaplate.  He then wanted to see a profile of the boat and I came up with the official diagram of the hull, which pleased him.  Once I realized that he wanted to know the sling points for the lifter I showed him the "sling" signs on the cabin sides and that really pleased him.  I was very happy with the transaction. Antonio went away with an detailed and accurate conception of what is required, and tomorrow I can expect a firm written quotation.

By the time Antonio and I got to the boat Reggie and Nahum had already left for the day.  Reggie had hung in there until he got the rest of the cockpit laid out.  In the photo of the companionway step, notice how Reggie has angled the planks to match the line of the hull.  This is the mark of a true pro.  I expect him to start on the bow tomorrow.

1 comment:

chris said...

hard work...but working well!

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me