This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Trap Explained and Reggie's Progress

I visited Eco Naviera at noon today to find out what they had learned about the 598 peso penalty from the immigration department.

The problem seems to be airline agents in a hurry.  During my return to Mexico from my Christmas visit to the USA nobody bothered to ask me about my status in this country.  Some agent filled in a form on my behalf and ticked "tourist" rather than "resident", and a green piece of paper to that affect was put into my passport.  Had I removed that piece of paper from my passport when I handed it in to Immigration nothing would have been said, but when the local manager saw the piece of paper he deemed me as having two documents and charged me for the tourist visa that I didn't need and didn't even know that I had.  Yes, the immigration department knows that it is all bullshit and I don't even need that tourist visa.  Indeed, I don't even understand the connection between my renewing my FM3 and an existing tourist visa that I don't need or want, but them's the rules.  So I've paid the money into the bank and tomorrow I'll visit the immigration office and get the process moving again.  ... At least it wasn't mordida (corruption), but rather a legal bureaucratic ripoff that can be found in every society - and in the spectrum of traps for the wide eyed traveler I guess this has been relatively small.

While I was in the Eco Naviero office I thanked the man for giving me the advice about Guadalajara, because Brenda and I had spent 4 great days there.  I talked a bit about our bus trip and he said that the entire northern  part of Mexico is a "no go" zone for tourists because of the drug related crime.  I told him that we had considered passing through Tampico, Ciudad Victoria, Monterrey, and Saltillo but had decided against it not because any danger that we were aware of, but because Tampico seemed expensive and touristy, and Moterrey seemed too industrial.  I proudly told him that we had passed through Zacatecas and Durango.  Zacatecas is OK but he pointed out that Durango is the epicenter of the crime and we were fortunate to get through OK.  (Gulp!)
Starting Work at the Bow

Reggie arrived this morning with his regular helper and they began work at the bow.  We had a discussion about what fittings were to be put on the final product.  The same hinges and lock will be used as before, and the fairleads will be used again.  I asked that no provision be made for the anchor windlass foot switch because there is no point in mounting the switch if I will not install a windless battery until my return to Australia. Once the door is in place he'll take measurements and send me to a car shop to get rubber trip for sealing the door. 
A Day's Work

Reggie has almost finished cutting and fitting the wood, but there is much to be done.  Every plank must be removed and laid over a bedding compound.  Then the wood plugs must be put over every screw.  Then everything must be sanded.  Finally, the caulking must be done.  I'm looking forward to seeing these operations, hoping to learn a lot more about teak work.

1 comment:

chris said...

Good luck with sorting things with the immigration department.

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me