This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Bits and Pieces

We've made good progress in setting up the mini laptop. Stephen took control of the machine from Australia and purged the junk software - much of it dangerous - that is part of the supplied system. At this point most of the major items have been installed including the Firefox browser, Skype, and C-Map. Yesterday morning I met Ron here at The Fuel Dock and we installed the Airmail software and tested it out with no problem. I have downloaded Open Office 3.0.1 and will install it tonight.

Today I realized an unexpected benefit from the new machine. The larger Toshiba laptop could not see my Samsung MP3 player, a known problem that could not be overcome. Arnold had used his Vista machine to load the MP3 player. Last night I installed the Samsung MP3 software on the Acer and today had a go with the MP3 player. To my delight the Acer could see the MP3 player and I was able to purge the files from it and load a new set of music from the big external hard drive. I could not resist taking some time to listen to some tracks from the Beatles' White Album. (The Walrus was Paul!)

While I was waiting on a big file transfer I unpacked the new personal EPIRB and read the instructions. It is a 406 MHz beacon with a built-in GPS so that it can broadcast its location. The lithium batteries are good until 2015 and will give 12 hours of broadcast. I have put it inside the fold of my life vest.

Tomorrow I will unpack the new hand-held VHF transceiver which will go into my emergency grab bag. It comes with a AA battery case so that AA batteries can be used if the rechargeable batteries fail. This means a set of AA batteries in the grab bag.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me