This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Still Here

I got up at 4 AM to do some last-minute internetting and saw that there was no wind. Shortly after dawn I saw readings from 3.5 kt down to 0.0 kt. The wind predictions for the next 7 days are pretty dismal. The problem is a low pressure area north of the islands that has disrupted the flow of the trade winds. I saw little gain and much danger in going out into the channel and bobbing around all night while all sorts of shipping was passing by.

The prediction is for 10 kt winds from the north starting Sunday night and lasting about a day. If this comes to pass I will set sail on Monday morning and head east. Once I am well clear of the islands I'll be prepared to cop whatever light winds eventuate. I'll try to keep the boat moving and be prepared to take immediate advantage of favorable winds.

Richard on Fire Water left a full two weeks ago. Jeff told me today that he has made a total of 600 nm in those two weeks. Worse, he is north of that low pressure area above the islands and he will cop some strong winds from the east.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me