This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Grab Bag


Today I unpacked the hand held VHF radio, charged its lithium battery, and revisited Pachuca's grab bag. The photo shows the contents so far.

From the left you can see the purple torch next to the square plastic container with an LED head torch inside. The thin and flat white item below them is a signaling mirror. Next to that is the red genuine Swiss Army knife. The black items are the VHF radio, its screw-on antenna, and the AAA battery case below them. One thing that I like about the radio is that if the lithium battery fails you can resort to AAA batteries as long as the supplies last. Then there is the orange 406 MHz EPIRB. Hopefully I would have my vest on with the PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) inside of it, giving me two EPIRB's. The blue and white case below that is a marine first aid kit. Then there are two flares: an ordinary hand-held red one and an up-in-the air type. I couldn't find the two parachute flares and I'm hoping that we had them put in the emergency raft.

I'll probably include a liter of water in the bag and I am open to suggestions.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me