This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Friday, May 1, 2009

New Goodies


Today I purchased a backup computer. It is an Acer "Aspire One" mini laptop with the following specifications:
  • 1.6GHz N270 Intel Atom Processor
  • 1GB DDR2 533MHz
  • Windows XP Home SP3
  • 8.9" 1024 x 600 WSVGA glossy LED backlit display
  • 160GB 2.5" 5400RPM Hitachi Hard Drive (with SDHC storage expansion slot)
  • 802.11b/g Atheros Wireless
  • 3-Cell 23Wh battery
  • Size: 9.75" x 6.625" x 1.28"
  • Weight: 2lb 5.0oz
The price was $312 USD plus tax.

The laptop does not have a cd/dvd device and I want a DVD burner. So I purchased an external DVD drive for about $75. This drive reads and burns everything that I've come across in this type of media: CD, DVD, single and double layer, +R, -R, etc) The beauty of this little device is that I can plug it via a USB cable to either of my laptops.

This afternoon I got the Acer up and running then plugged in the external DVD device and used it to install Nero from the supplied CD. Then I moved it to the Toshiba laptop and burned the entire C-Map directory of about 2.5 Gb in less than 8 minutes. [16 x (22 160 kb/s)]

The photo shows the Acer mini laptop and the "LiteON" external CD/DVD drive.

I purchased the watches yesterday. The one on the right is shower proof and has a neat dual time: analog hands that I can easily see without glasses, and digital time below which is large enough to see without glasses with a little effort. I've set the hands to Hawaii time and the digits to GMT. The velcro strap is great. The left one is a larger-faced watch on a lanyard with really big numbers which I got for when I take sextant sights. I got both watches at a jeweler's ... er ... actually the jewelry section of WalMart. I paid $12 for each of them.

The laptop and external drive were from WalMart too. They cost $407 all-up.

My plan is to dedicate the mini laptop to the Sailmail system, leaving on the navigation desk plugged in all of the time.

It looks like I'm on a bit of a spending spree. I spoke to Lenny today about a hand-held VHF radio for my emergency grab bag. It looks like I can get a low-end model for $100. It will be waterproof and have the full spectrum of channels and DSC.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me