This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Friday, May 22, 2009

Departure Today


We've been getting gentle S and SE winds since yesterday and they are expected to hold up for another few days. It's not much but it provides me with a small window for departure. The first task is to get clear of the channel between Oahu and Molokai place myself well away from the dangers of shipping and lee shores. I plan to head E and NE as the wind allows to get between that weak stationary low that has squatted north if these islands and the Pacific High far away to the NE. Once I am under the influence of the Pacific High I will head north to approximately 40N to get north of the clock-wise circulating high. That's the plan, anyway, subject to weather fax and GRIB reports.

I must say that it is a stunning day on which to depart: sunny blue sky with a small sheen of cloud, gentle and cool southerly breeze coming from the tranquil ocean. It won't be easy leaving this tropical paradise and the wonderful people that I've come to know, many whom will be life long friends whether or not I ever see them again.

But that's the cruiser's lot so I'd better deal with it and get used to it.

Attached is a photo of Carey, the manager of The Fuel Dock. Carey, her husband Wally, Audrey, Sherri, and Curtis are what makes The Fuel Dock the special place that it is.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me