This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Lunch and Diamond Head











Yesterday I met Klaus at the Royal Hawaiian hotel just before noon. We found a pretty elegant place that he had heard about and I bought us lunch. We discussed all sorts of things and enjoyed each other's company. At 3 PM it was time to say good bye. I told him that he is a good man. He knows that he can keep track of me via his friend who can access my blog. If I make it to Ecuador I will get him that Montecristi Panama hat that he has wanted for so long.

I then got on the bicycle and pushed on to to Diamond Head for a visit. The road passed through a tunnel through the side of the crater and led to the entry booth where I paid the $1.00 fee. The height of the crater varies: lower on the windward side, higher on the leeward side. The walk to the highest part of the crater took 20 minutes of brisk and strenuous walking, and included a walk through a pedestrian tunnel. The effort was worth the prize: 360 degree views. I could see past Pearl Harbor.

Diamond Head has history. It got its name from the early mistaken belief that some of the rocks were diamonds. It was once a military base with concrete observation posts whose remnants can be seen today. I saw no evidence of heavy gun emplacements.

The third photo from the top has the Ala Wai Boat Harbor in its center. Pachuca is 2/3 up the outermost set of slips, near the break water.

The fifth photo looks over the crater to Koko head.

The lower photos are of the elegant Royal Hawaiian Hotel.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Fantastic photos.

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me