This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Engine Selection

I have decided to replace my SABB 2G with a 4 cylinder, 40 hp Volvo D2-40 with an MS15L transmission. It comes with a 115 amp alternator which should be sufficient for my needs.

The 3 cyl, 40 hp Yanmar was much too wide for my engine compartment and after double and triple checking the measurements it looks like the Volvo will fit very well. I also like the idea of 4 cylinders because I think that it will give smoother and quieter running.

I plan to visit Mac or Neil at the marina on Monday to confirm that they will install the engine and that my transportation plans are OK.

See http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopenta/global/en-gb/marine_leisure_engines/c_diesel_sailboat/Pages/d2_40.aspx and disregard the gray sail drive part of the engine photo.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me