This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Sunday, May 30, 2010

SABB Engine Run

Today's engine run - the first since I got the engine running yesterday - was a complete success.

I started off by checking the crank case oil and found it to be jet black and exactly at the top mark, evidence to me of no contamination from fuel or water.

I then opened the raw water valve and did a normal engine start, using the starter battery bank only and keeping the engine compartment cover in place. The engine came to life about 5 seconds of cranking and ran nicely at 1000 rpm for the next 90 minutes. Again, the only thing that I could see coming from the exhaust was water

At shutdown time I decided to see how engine would idle at low speed and took it down to 300 rpm where it kept thumping along nicely.

The batteries were less hungry today: taking in 50 amps at startup and 39 amps at shutdown.

My confidence level has understandably taken a leap. So far the engine appears to be running as well as when I left Port Townsend.

Tomorrow I will meet with Bob Carroll to plan a sea trial probably on Tuesday. That will also give me the opportunity to redeploy the anchor, and possibly closer to the marina.

1 comment:

Parrot Herder said...

Awesome! This repair, and the BLOG is far more interesting IMHO than most content on the internet these days.

"Pachuca the Adventure" - Nat Geographic. Part 23, Stuck in La Paz.

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me