This blog began in late 2006 with the planning and preparation for a circumnavigation of the world in my 39-foot sail boat Pachuca. It then covered a successful 5-year circumnavigation that ended in April 2013. The blog now covers life with Pachuca back home in Australia.

Pachuca

Pachuca
Pachuca in Port Angeles, WA USA

Saturday, May 22, 2010

More work on SABB

Yesterday afternoon I asked Bob Carroll if he could visit Pachuca for a few minutes to hold down the SABB starter button while I sprayed WD40 in the air intake. Unfortunately that failed miserably. The engine did not give any hint of even trying to start.

For poor Bob the 15 minutes turned into more like 3 hours. With the SABB instruction manual in hand Bob watched me bleed the system again and verified that I had followed the proper procedure and that we were getting healthy amounts of fuel with no air.

I then took off the rocker cover and disconnected the high pressure lines at the injectors. We turned the engine over and saw short bursts of fuel coming out. I didn't have enough experience to be sure that there was enough fuel was coming out.

Then I removed the no. 1 injector, connected it to the fuel line, and Bob turned the engine over while I aimed the injector at a paper towel. I saw bursts of fuel spray coming out and the paper towel got a damp spot. Again, was it enough? It probably was.

We checked the movement of the rockers and I re-checked the gaps at the push rods. All was OK.

Bob and I agreed that the problem seemed beyond us. As far as I know the engine needs three elements in order to fire: air, compression, and fuel. All three elements seem to be OK. My next step will be to try a can of engine starter and hope that I don't crack a piston in the process.

2 comments:

Simeon said...

Any way you can check the compression?
Does it use pre-heat (glow plugs)?
Engine stop control?

Good luck. It really must be something simple...

mark jochems said...

smoke coming out the exhaust indicates it is getting fuel. Can not think of a way you could have effected timeing. So I agree on the compression idea. OR try to start the engine using a propane torch into the intake.... If you use either spray it on a rag then wave it it front of the intake. but dont do them at the same time.........

Blog Archive

Contributors

Statistics Click Me